Roaming behavior in 1.0.9 and what can be done for custom stories

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
peter980

Roaming behavior in 1.0.9 and what can be done for custom stories

This thread is for discussing how to work around 1.0.9 changes if you want to get the roaming frequency of NPCs to be similar to the one in 1.0.9.

Note, that it was confirmed by devs that this roaming change was a bug and will be fixed in a future release.

The thread explaining the issue:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1983

Also discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=974&start=560
peter980

Re: Roaming behavior in 1.0.9 and what can be done for custom stories

Here is what I did to emulate the 1.0.6/1.0.7 frequency of the roaming in my Gone Bad Party story.

First, I created a periodic triggers for each of the NPCs that normally roam (skipping Frank and Stephanie), like this:

roaming1.JPG
roaming1.JPG (103.95 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
In order to prevent this to trigger at the same time for all NPCs, I assigned different intervals between 55-65 for each NPCs.

This would give a 25% chance for it to happen, so on average 240s.

This is less than the original 1.0.6/1.0.7 roaming that was between 60-180s (so an average of 120s), but it should be known that in that case, the counter was only happening when NPCs were standing still, so actual old roaming frequency was took more time than this.

So 240s felt good enough for me, especially since 1.0.9 default roaming would still happen from time to time (but with 5-10 lower frequency).
Last edited by peter980 on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter980

Then I did not want these triggers to start at the same time for each NPC, so I added a delay for the first start like this:

roaming2.JPG
roaming2.JPG (175.63 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
This would trigger once, on the first start of the story, where I disable all new roaming triggers for all NPCs, then enable them back with different delays for each (I actually used prime numbers in seconds).

This all together should give something close to organic roaming from the 1.0.6/1.0.7 version of the game without being too artificial.

It is not a perfect replacement, but a good bandaid until the game gets updated to include a fix to restore old roaming behavior.
fighteer

I wasn't aware that the counter would only decrement while the NPCs are standing still. That explains why using a flat 120-second timer with some random variation was generating much more frequent roaming than before.

Thanks for this info!