Yeesh. Those tutorial videos.

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
OmnislashXX

Re: Yeesh. Those tutorial videos.

When (if) I learn how to use the tool, I'll make some videos myself. But I really still new to it all, so it might be awhile.
OmnislashXX

Ok. I'm sorta unclear about how to provide the Dialogue Boxes for Quests. For instance, the thought bubbles and then the actual starting dialogue box. Any of those two options would help.
peter980

Can you explain what exactly you want to do?
OmnislashXX

Ok, so you know how when the game opens, you have a box that briefly explains what is going on? I want that, at the beginning of the game.
chimneyfish

You need an event trigger on a character (any character) with the criteria "IsNewGame." In that event trigger, include a "DisplayGameMessage" event with the "Narration" option and the text being whatever you want to show up at the start of the game. Does that make sense?

In the original story, you can look at Madison's event trigger called (unsurprisingly) "MadisonNewGameStarts" for an example.
OmnislashXX

Yeah. Figured that one out, surprisingly.

Now I'm trying to work on event triggers. That is, I want a character to walk to a location after a conversation and only when the character gets there.
OmnislashXX

Here. You can tell me what in gods name I'm doing wrong. IDK, it seems like the game creator really doesn't know how to deal with game triggers well, or is all that self explanatory. As I said, after the initial conversation with Amy, the player is supposed to come downstairs. Afterwards, Amy will follow shortly thereafter. But all she does is stand there in the bedroom and does not dress at all.

chimneyfish

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that Player ReachesTarget is an unreliable thing to have a trigger on. It relies on the player moving to a very precise point. The problem might be that you're not walking to the exact location. You could test that in game by using the console to warp the player to the target.
peter980

Yes, never use ReachesTarget for player.
It is not NPCS, to get trigger when they finish walkto to specific location.

Player will never be exactly at those locations, since they have free walking ability.

If you want something to trigger based on player being nearby, use periodic with distance check of player from the location or object.
OmnislashXX

I used a vision check. Seemed to work. I guess I will also use a distance check since she is supposed to initiate another conversation afterwards.