Guide: Converting CSC story to readable JSON and making it compatible with 0.8.8+

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
peter980

Guide: Converting CSC story to readable JSON and making it compatible with 0.8.8+

Here is process I used to convert one of the 0.8.3 CSC stories to 0.8.8, including changing it to readable JSON, so it can be edited by hand, without Custom Story Creator.

1) Open each of the story and character files in Nodepad++ :
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

2) Remove binary bits from start and end of the file

3) Go to here and paste the file content:
https://jsonformatter.org/

4) Convert with 4 space tab option, then paste to original file

5) Change encoding to USC-2 LE BOM (very important)

6) If file is not in "Windows (CR LF)", do EOL conversion to "Windows (CR LF)"

After these steps you will get story and character files that are readable by the game, as well as editable by the hand.

Next, steps to convert from 0.8.3 to 0.8.8:

1) Replace all references to:
"Type": "Roaming"

with:
"Type": "Roaming_Depreciated_Use_State_AbleToRoam",

2) Find any character file that has:
"Type": "EnableNPC",

And replace with:
"Type": null

After this, you will get story and should mostly work correctly in 0.8.8, while being editable by hand.
Last edited by peter980 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
peter980

Re: Guide: Converting CSC story to readable JSON and making it compatible with 0.8.8+

Couple of more things that need to be taken into consideration:

1) 0.8.7+ introduces 3 more personalty trains to characters: Shy, Perverse and Exhibitionism

I assume that if missing that game will assume that they start with value of 0.

I do not think there is any gameplay effect of Shy and Perverse, but Exhibitionism has huuuge effect.

It affects behavior of characters when naked (full or breast naked), and how will they cloth in hot tub. Values can go from -100 to 100.

Since this feature did not exist in 0.8.3, some behavior changes will happen, after converting older stories to 0.8.8. Based on what is needed, it should be good idea to add this trait to all characters, based on story needs.

What I was able to figure out:

1) Exhibitionism between -100 and -1
Character is shy if having breast exposed

2) Exhibitionism between 0 and 49
Character is not shy if having breast exposed
Character is shy if having no panties

3) Exhibitionism between 50 and 100
Character is not shy if naked

That is just what was gotten with testing. Only developers know exact behavior.

Anyway, any stories that should be converted to 0.8.8 should take this into account and set this trait based on their need.
Last edited by peter980 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter980

Re: Guide: Converting CSC story to readable JSON and making it compotible with 0.8.8+

More updates on Exhibitionism stat:

1) Exhibitionism between -100 and 0
Character is shy if having breasts exposed, or no panties
Character in full swimwear when in the hot tub

2) Exhibitionism between 1 and 49
The character is not shy if having breasts exposed
The character is shy if having no panties
The character is without a bra when in the hot tub

3) Exhibitionism at 50
The character is not shy if naked
The character is without a bra when in the hot tub

4) Exhibitionism between 51 and 100
The character is not shy if naked
The character is fully naked in the hot tub

In the original story (0.8.8), most characters have Exhibitionism below 0, Vickie has 44 and Stephanie 100. But there is a script that changes Amy and Vickie to 100, and Brittney to 40 or 100.

Note that hot tub behavior will be overridden if the character already has underwear parts equipped in the open (and visible). In that case, those parts of clothing will stay in the hot tub, regardless of the exhibitionist trait.
Last edited by peter980 on Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
eekdon

Re: Guide: Converting CSC story to readable JSON and making it compotible with 0.8.8+

Thanks!

Also bear in mind that http://jsbeautifier.org/ is another option for formatting the files to be purdy. There's also some behind the scenes stuff (read as "hard coded things or bugs") that may prevent characters from covering up or force them to cover up at times but this is a great starter summary.

If hand-editing files, the game version lines in the .story and .character files (usually at the bottom or top of each file) need to match the game version the user is running. Will look similar to "HousePartyVersion": "0.8.8". Pretty easy change, but in case anyone has purposefully decided to use a non-updated game version it might be handy to know. Also, as always, .story files, the folder that contains all your story and character files, and the "StoryName" data entry in each file need to be the exact same text.
peter980

Interesting enough, those CSC converted to JSON have:

"HousePartyVersion": null,

So I assume that game defaults them to current version.
Another possibility is that binary headers and footers I removed during conversion had that data in binary (not sure).
eekdon

peter980 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:34 am Interesting enough, those CSC converted to JSON have:

"HousePartyVersion": null,

So I assume that game defaults them to current version.
Another possibility is that binary headers and footers I removed during conversion had that data in binary (not sure).
Yeah if you don't use the Apply to House Party (last time I checked the button was called this) and export tools the game will not actually apply your Custom Story to your currently installed version of House Party, and this info will be missing, EVEN if the rest of the file is formatted in a way that would be readable/usable by the game.

In case you or anyone else also misses my little tidbit about save files, REGARDLESS of save version, they are all here:

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Eek\House Party\Saves

Might be some wiggle room for using them. I have yet to play with them myself, being low on time and all.
peter980

Small correction on above. One of the stories I was using to test conversion had null for version in character files, but story file had 0.8.3 as version. Also character files where missing StoryName entry (these was some Name entry, but it was null also).

Was still running as is, but it would be good idea when converting to change to current version. :)

EDIT:
Actually scratch that. Changing null to 0.8.8 for character files has broken those files, making characters not working. :(

Changing version in story file is fine, and has no negative effect.
peter980

peter980 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 am 1) Replace all references to:
"Type": "Roaming"

with:
"Type": "Roaming_Depreciated_Use_State_AbleToRoam",

2) Find any character file that has:
"Type": "EnableNPC",

And replace with:
"Type": null
Important:
When replacing, make sure to end with comma, if not last property in the section.
Always use some JSON validator tool (google it), to verify if data structure is correct. Otherwise file will not load correctly in the game.