A few CSC questions: string editing, images & audio

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
snippy64

A few CSC questions: string editing, images & audio

Dialogue Editing
I noticed that it's possible to export the script and the translation template, is there any way to use this to make editing existing dialogue easier? I can search/replace in the prefab file but becomes very painful when you're trying to change story arcs. Perhaps there's some way to leave the dialogues alone in the CSC and just keep editing a translation?

I.e. if I created a Documents/Eek/House Party/Mods/Languages/Custom Story/English, would the files in there be used in the client instead?

Custom Images & audio
I notice in the CSC resources, there are quest images and avatars, but if I add new ones, or update existing ones, will those be used in game or will it still rely on the internal assets? Were those files just included to make the editor dropdowns happy?

Also, I'm assuming the engine doesn't work like other moddable games where you can unpack the assets and replace things like textures and audio files correct?
eekdon

Re: A few CSC questions: string editing, images & audio

If it's just dialogue, I use TortoiseSVN to keep track of differences over the course of story editing (I end up with a lot...new content for 0.12.x is on V34 atm), and then NotePad++ for general use. Yes, you could use a translation file to make dialogue editing easier. It's just pure text replacement at that point. Translation files, like story files, are always loaded when transitioning out of the title menu scene and into the gamemain scene, so no editing "on the fly" and expecting to see results.

If the work isn't done in the inspector pane of the CSC, it isn't officially supported, and no it's not possible to bring in any outside assets at this time.
snippy64

Re: A few CSC questions: string editing, images & audio

I'm a Sublime Text guy and it didn't handle the mix of unix/windows line endings in the translation files very well. I did give Notepad++ a go, but in the end I decided I'd just write something to search/replace the text in the generated files.