[Tool] File Deltas

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
e2pii

[Tool] File Deltas

I wrote a Javascript (HTML/CSS) tool for comparing different versions of a file. If ever you can't remember what changes you made in your latest version, or what you overwrote in the Original Story files.

It works on .story and .character files and finds changes going from the first to the second (hence deltas.) Changes get highlighted, green for additions, red for deletions, and yellow for edits. In addition, "Delta" properties are inserted (I tried to make them not spammy) with values of 'added', 'deleted', or 'edited' so searching can work.

The unchanged content is left for context.

It should detect mid-array deletion / addition / edits. It's not the fastest, go give it a few seconds after selecting your files (particularly for larger files like Madison's.) It's just HTML+Javascript+CSS and should work fine in Chrome, Firefox, and other modern web browsers.
Attachments
fileDeltaFinder.zip
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
kenny2060

Re: [Tool] File Deltas

Not tried it out yet, but great contribution! :D
:lol: HUFFASAURUS REX WANTS TO GET MORE HIGH! :lol:
eekdon

Interesting, do you feel this is more useful than something like TortoiseSVN?
ttant

Tools like tortoiseSVN required a source control management (such as SVN for this peculiar one) to do a diff.

In my case, i'm a huge fan of winmerge (i also use kdiff3 which might be the one integrated within tortoiseSVN).
peter980

Two tools I use:

WinMerge:
Free tool that can mass compare content of multiple files.
Downsides are that it is not longer in development and that sometimes it does not compare game JSONs well (sometimes does not detect new inserted sections correctly, leading to showing more differences then there are).

Beyond Compare:
Paid tool that can mass compare files, but compare works much better, although I prefer UI of WinMerge.
eekdon

ttant wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:23 pm Tools like tortoiseSVN required a source control management (such as SVN for this peculiar one) to do a diff.

In my case, i'm a huge fan of winmerge (i also use kdiff3 which might be the one integrated within tortoiseSVN).
Yeah I think when you ONLY diff using tortoise it doesn't require a repository or any additional setup. I started right click diff-comparing two files right away, so if it is caching or storing versions for that sort of quick compare, it's behind-the-scenes and not anything I remember setting up. So it's been super easy to use and the UI is alright.