Move Target Issue

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
e2pii

Move Target Issue

0.10.4, CSC 0.8.0
I'm having trouble with events not firing when characters reach some move targets (e.g. Outside Sofa 2 Middle, HotTubSeat 1).
Other targets (e.g. BedEdge, MasterBedroom) work fine.
e2pii

Re: Move Target Issue

After some digging, I think I've figured it out.

Edit: I really don't know, see the next post for the results of my testing.

I think, at some point in CSC, some values in the MoveTargets list (but not the Items list) were erroneously renamed to "Item Names" corresponding to that value. Other MoveTargets were changed to Items (MT:MissionarySexSpot to I:BedEdge, for example) successfully.

For the purposes of walkTos (and possibly warpTos) the type (MoveTarget or Item) doesn't appear to matter (the "Option" key?), the engine will happily send a character to MoveTarget HotTubSeat1 when the command specified is (mistakenly) to MoveTarget "HotTub Seat 1" (an Item name).

For the purposes of event triggers, it appears the "WalkToTargetOption" is enforced, so the game doesn't trigger an event listening to MoveTarget "HotTub Seat 1" because that's an Item name, and there isn't a MoveTarget by that name.

Edit: For now, I'm just manually renaming things back to the MT name shown in the 0.10.4 Original Story files.
Last edited by e2pii on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e2pii

So I made a mostly empty test map with Amy running around to the various move targets.

I added a "switch" for Amy to go to each non-character move target in turn (by incrementing a variable when talked to) and setup a simple strip event when she reaches any of the move targets (72 triggers!)

After chasing her around to observe which move targets would fire their triggers, I've determined

Armchair is borked (it moves the character into the study,) but does trigger the reaches listener.
Masterbedroombedsex is very hard to walk to as the bed gets in the way, and fails to trigger the listener on warp.
The below didn't trigger their listeners when Amy reached them:
bed left
bed right
couch left
couch middle
couch right
franks chair
office chair
outside sofa 1 left
outside sofa 1 middle
outside sofa 1 right
outside sofa 2 left
outside sofa 2 middle
outside sofa 2 right
patio armchair
pouf
sofa (left)
sofa (right)
spareroomsofa (left)
spareroomsofa (middle)
spareroomsofa (right)
vanity chair.

Spareroomsofa (middle) not firing explains some difficulty I had recreating Ashley's bedroom conversation in a custom story. The above appear to all force a pose when reached (sitting or laying,) but, to my surprise, the hot tub seats and lawn chairs do work correctly.
Kevner

I'm having trouble getting someone to walk all the way to the fire pit. The events trigger fine, they just stand a few feet away which kind of breaks the immersion of the scene, but isn't really a big deal to me.

I tried using the mantlepiece key as a move target instead of the indoor fireplace, but events wouldn't trigger for that. Not getting close enough I figure. Could be the case for the fire pit too if the pit itself is in the way.

I remember having an event not trigger for reaching hottubseat3, but I don't remember if that was me just making a mistake in the CSC or not. I changed the target to the hot tub sex position instead and it was fine. (Both these things are related to the same scene. Stephanie goes to the fire to light the joint, leans over, get set on fire (mount the fire pit to her head or hand! I'm proud of that one) and runs to the hot tub to extinguish herself (and her dress.) Works fine the way it is now.

I wonder if it's because the posing animation when they reach a seat or bed is overriding the moment it should be heard for the trigger. The hot tub and lawn seats may have been adapted because of their use in the main story (for Vickie/Amy/Brittney in the tub or Amy/Ashley/Patrick around the fire for example) but that's assuming a lot about stuff I don't know...
e2pii

Yeah, one thing they have in common is all going into an animation / pose.

But the lawn chairs and hot tub worked, and the hot tub is driving me crazy as I can't seem to figure out if it should have spaces or not (for the purposes of roaming prohibits.)

I'm wondering how much of a difference in positioning the walkTo vs warpTo would yield.
peter980

Some locations have two types of names.

One name to be used for walkto, and other for some other tests.

For example if I do walkto command to MissionarySexSpot, then character CurretMoveTarget (that you can see with value list) will be BedEdge.
e2pii

MissionarySexSpot isn't even in CSC [anymore?] And the issue is that some event triggers do not work.

In order to get an event trigger to fire on Rachael reaching "Outside Sofa 1 Middle" I had to manually edit the JSON to "OutsideSofa1Middle".

peter, you seem to know your shit from a modding perspective. But as this has to do with what''s going on in the engine, I'm going to wait for an eek programmer (or someone who can talk to them.)
eekdon

e2pii wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:44 pm MissionarySexSpot isn't even in CSC [anymore?] And the issue is that some event triggers do not work.

In order to get an event trigger to fire on Rachael reaching "Outside Sofa 1 Middle" I had to manually edit the JSON to "OutsideSofa1Middle".

peter, you seem to know your shit from a modding perspective. But as this has to do with what''s going on in the engine, I'm going to wait for an eek programmer (or someone who can talk to them.)
When testing this, if you open up your debug log, what are you seeing? If it is blank, hit the save/log button, navigate to the saved DebugLog and let me know if you're getting NullReferenceExceptions towards the top.
eekdon

Also, what version of Unity are you using? And, did you use Export All Stories With This Name to get the story data out to a folder, export each file individually, or did you use Apply Story Data to HP?
eekdon

Finally, post a copy of the story you made to test this, in .zip form. Thanks.