How do I make a character sit? + more

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
Alaniata

How do I make a character sit? + more

Alright. I'm kinda new to the CSC and trying to figure what all the buttons do. I got a couple of problems I need help with (more will surely follow):

1. How do you make dialogue dependent? I want the greetings to go away after the first conversation. And I also wanna activate a dialogue when sitting in the chairs by the fire.
2. Which leads to: How do I make a character use a chair? I tried walking them to it and use "mount" but that just turns Amy into a fidget spinner that must go because her people need her. How to make sit, plx?

Thanks
diliGent

Re: How do I make a character sit? + more

I'm also new to this, but the way I understand it is you control what happens primarily through criteria -that includes dialog. I think there's actually a "has met" function built-in.
So in your event trigger for the greeting, you would actually have two dialog triggers: One for the "hey we've never met" response with the criteria set up for "has met -> [character] = FALSE" (apologies, I can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head)
And then the "hey again" dialog trigger with the criteria set up for "has met -> [character] = TRUE"

I think to make the character sit you're looking to trigger "state" (i think "mount" is used to pin prop models to the characters hands and such). You need either an event or dialog event to send the character to the chair (item) you want them to sit in, then create a new event trigger -set the "when" to: [character] -> reaches -> item -> [chair]
And the event to: [character] ->state -> sitting
You could also add a "trigger dialog" for the character in the same event, maybe delay it so it triggers AFTER the character sits. Just know that if you don't condition the event with a criteria, that character is going to trigger that event EVERY time it roams to that location.

The function could also be "pose", but I think the setup would be more or less the same. I've found hardest part so far is knowing what all functions are and what they can do and what they can't. Best thing is to look at the original story or maybe some simpler custom stories just to see how people did certain things, but it can be hard to piece together. Truth is there's usually a dozen right ways to do anything.

Like I said, I'm also new to this. So if anybody wants to check my work above and tell me what I'm doing wrong or right go for it.
chimneyfish

Alaniata wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:21 pm Alright. I'm kinda new to the CSC and trying to figure what all the buttons do. I got a couple of problems I need help with (more will surely follow):

1. How do you make dialogue dependent? I want the greetings to go away after the first conversation. And I also wanna activate a dialogue when sitting in the chairs by the fire.
There are a couple of ways to do this: (1) using Alternate Dialogue or (2) using an On Dialogue Start event. Examples below (assuming Amy is the character talking).

(1) Create dialogue line 0 with text "Hello, nice to meet you." Add an alternate dialogue with text "Hello again" with a criteria Met By Player: Amy: True. The first time you talk to Amy, she will say "Hello, nice to meet you." After that she'll say "Hello again." The player's response options will be the same in both cases.

(2) Create dialogue line 0 with text "Hello, nice to meet you." Create dialogue line 1 with text "Oh, it's you again. What do you want now?" Back on dialog line 0, add an On Dialogue Start event Dialogue: Amy: Trigger: 1 with a criteria Met By Player: Amy: True. The first time you talk to Amy, she will say "Hello, nice to meet you." After that, she will say "Oh, it's you again. What do you want now?" More complicated, but useful because instead of just having Amy's side of the conversation be different, you can write different player responses for dialogue line 1. Instead of just displaying alternate text, the game will divert the conversation to dialogue line 1, ignoring everything else associated with dialogue line 0.
Alaniata wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:21 pm 2. Which leads to: How do I make a character use a chair? I tried walking them to it and use "mount" but that just turns Amy into a fidget spinner that must go because her people need her. How to make sit, plx?
Just make them walk to the chair. They should automatically sit. If you want them to stay there permanently (or until you decide to make them leave), you'll need to turn off their roaming behavior as well.

You could use a reaches target event to have the character start talking when they reach the chair, but another option would be to do something similar to example (2) above.

Add dialogue line 2. It might say "The fire is so warm, don't you agree?" On dialog line 0, add an On Dialogue Start event Dialogue: Amy: Trigger 2 with the criteria InZone: Amy: YardNearFirePitZone: True. This won't check if she's sitting. That's a little more complicated, but checking the zone should be close enough for this simple example.

This way, instead of talking immediately upon reaching the chair, Amy would walk to the chair, sit, and wait until the player decides to talk to them before discussing the fire.
Alaniata

cheers, both of you! I can't get the "has met" function to work and Amy still beyblades when she see the lawnchair, but alot of progress have been made!
chimneyfish

Alaniata wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:05 pm cheers, both of you! I can't get the "has met" function to work and Amy still beyblades when she see the lawnchair, but alot of progress have been made!
"Has met" is mostly "has talked to" except that there's a little check box on every dialogue line where you can say "does not count as met."

Sometimes the characters have pathing issues. You might try walk to OutsideByFirePit, then OnReachesTarget: OutsideByFirePit redirect to the chair. I've seen a similar approach be useful for the hot tub seats.