Dialogues responses

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
jiben90

Dialogues responses

Hello!

I'm getting started with all that and trying to understad how things work.

What's the difference between a "response" and a "global response"? tried to understand it by looking at the original story dialogues options, but it doesn't seem to follow any kind of logic i could understand :geek: ...

thank you :)
peter980

Re: Dialogues responses

Global responses are not part of a specific dialog.

For example, goodbye response that most characters have.
chimneyfish

Global responses are ones you want to have available most of the time or a lot of the time.

For example, let's say you have written a long conversation, but you want the PC to be able to interrupt and say, "Shut up, I'm going to fight you now"

You could just write that response once and put it in the global response category. Then, on any dialogue line where it seems like the PC could get frustrated, just check the "show global responses" box and that option will be available.

A goodbye response is also a good example of a global response, but it's actually a special case. There's a separate checkbox for "show goodbye response."
jiben90

thanks!

so you're saying that there are no real differences batween the two and the "global response" category is just for us to keep track of which dialogue we want to keep available any time?

basically i need to check the "always available" box in the Global Responses category and put every quest-related timeline dialogue in the "normal dialogue " category? and all the repeatable dialogue in the global responses?

:geek:
chimneyfish

jiben90 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 am so you're saying that there are no real differences batween the two and the "global response" category is just for us to keep track of which dialogue we want to keep available any time?
Right, the player won't see any difference between global responses and normal responses
jiben90 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 am basically i need to check the "always available" box in the Global Responses category ...
I think in most cases, you want the global responses to be "always available," but I can think of some examples where you'd want a global response to not be "always available."
jiben90 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 am ...and put every quest-related timeline dialogue in the "normal dialogue " category? and all the repeatable dialogue in the global responses?
You could do that, but you don't necessarily need to. I think of the global responses as just being there for programming convenience. It saves you from copying the same response over to multiple dialog nodes.
peter980

A great example of global responses are "common questions".

You want them to be available after start dialog, but also after any dialog where a character responds to those questions, or something similar.
So instead of adding that same response in multiple dialogs, you add it once in a global list and then flag all dialogs that can show global responses as such.