Modifying story content

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
HBeach

Modifying story content

Hey,
I'm quite new to custom stories editor, I want to allow roaming in certain places that are not allowed by default like bathrooms. I found out it's located in storycontent but modifying it doesn't seem to have any effect when exporting my custom story, am I missing something ?

Also is adding any place to allowedlocation (starting with a clearlist) limiting the character to that specific location ?
ttant

Re: Modifying story content

Make sure you change the custom story name.
"Original story" files are downloaded from teh server at game start, so if you use that name, your modifications will be dropped.
HBeach

I don't have problems editing my story, but haven't found any other place than in storycontent part to edit base location infos. Maybe i'm missing something in here.
I added a picture, or maybe i'm not understanding what you meant :oops:
Attachments
snapshot.png
snapshot.png (101.75 KiB) Viewed 6430 times
chimneyfish

I'm just guessing, but I think the storycontent item you're editing is part of the game's underlying structure and doesn't get saved as part of your custom story files. That would explain why changes you make there don't do anything.

The only way I know of to affect where characters roam is by using an event trigger (like on game start) in the character file itself. But I'm not sure if adding upstairsbathroom as an allowed location for each character will do anything...
HBeach

Adding to allowedlocations works, but then they look like it's their only roam location, that's why I asked how it works. I can add everylocation for everycharacter butthat would be so tedious. I would also like to play with allowed sex location and others things that are up there :D. I can also trigger roaming manually by addinga timer triiger or periodicaly checked trigger but that's not what i'm looking for.
peter980

Whatever is in Content\StoryContent is not part of the custom story itself.

I think the only purpose of any data there is to make sure that the rest of the custom story stuff works correctly.

For example, that CSC knows that Derek is a possible character to use that is male.
Or that specific item or location or available in the game (and can be used in a custom story).

It is kinda like some sort of "dictionary" for game rules for 0.16.5. Doing any edit there could only make things break.
peter980

Regarding roaming, the game does have a list of predefined roaming locations, plus all sitting objects and beds.

You can't add to it but can create your own (example in Original Story is Katherine or Lety).
And yes, it will be tedious, if you want list to include all defaults, plus more.

On the other hand, restricting same places from default list is easy.
HBeach

I thought it was like that since they seems to be located in eekcontent.dll. I kinda hoped there was an easier way, and maybe trying more things with those parameters. Thanks anyway, I may find some time to add them manually or maybe wait if it may be added as an independant resource on a later build.