[Complete Story] Random Party [1.3.0]

Discuss and share Custom Stories made for House Party using our CSC tool.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.

Rules and Announcements for this subforum and the sharing of Custom Stories can be found here.

To upload your story to the CSU (Custom Story Uploader) so that users can download your story in-game, visit this link: https://csu.eekllc.com/
chimneyfish

Re: [Complete Story] Random Party [1.0.3]

eekdon wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:21 pm Not intentional, but not sure when this would have broke. What's the level of desire on this one? On a scale of 0-hnnggggg.
Meh, it was cool seeing the pretty, pretty achievement images pop up, but I've already added narrative text for the achievements as a backup in this story. So I'm kind of indifferent to whether this gets fixed. And I don't know of another custom story that uses achievements.
peter980

Re: [Complete Story] Random Party [1.0.6]

In Gone Bad Party, I was doing it the other way around.

Since the story takes a lot from the Original Story, I did not want to get OS achievements to get gained by accident, so I enforced the story to start with Player:Cheated=1 variable from the start (which can not be rest back to 0 with console), so even if OS achievement gets triggered it would be ignored due to the story being in cheater mode.

With that said, it would be great if you could script some awards for players to only happen if they never Cheated in the story.
But I guess it can be already done by just testing for Player:Cheated=0 I think?
chimneyfish

peter980 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:21 pm With that said, it would be great if you could script some awards for players to only happen if they never Cheated in the story.
But I guess it can be already done by just testing for Player:Cheated=0 I think?
Yep. The new narrative popups check that Player:Cheated=0 so that the work the same as achievements used. Except they aren't one time only and don't have the pretty, pretty pictures.
fighteer

So, maybe this falls under technicals rather than gameplay, but I took a look at your story in CSC and it's huge (kudos for all the work). It looks like everything is built as generically as possible, which makes me think that you make all the design changes on one of the characters and then copy them to the others.

I don't see any way to do that in CSC, though, and editing each character in turn seems like it would be incredibly tedious. Do you write scripts to copy from a base .character file and perform the required substitutions?
chimneyfish

fighteer wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:01 am So, maybe this falls under technicals rather than gameplay, but I took a look at your story in CSC and it's huge (kudos for all the work). It looks like everything is built as generically as possible, which makes me think that you make all the design changes on one of the characters and then copy them to the others.

I don't see any way to do that in CSC, though, and editing each character in turn seems like it would be incredibly tedious. Do you write scripts to copy from a base .character file and perform the required substitutions?
Yep, that's exactly what I do. I do all the edits in CSC on Amy, then use Notepad++ scripts to turn her character file into all the other character files.
fighteer

chimneyfish wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:23 am Yep, that's exactly what I do. I do all the edits in CSC on Amy, then use Notepad++ scripts to turn her character file into all the other character files.
I see you are a man of culture. Notepad++ is my favorite general text editor as well. Do you consider those scripts proprietary or would you mind sharing?

What I'm trying to do (as a learning experience) is add more variations and behaviors when a character's Drunk value is greater than 10. Or maybe this could be considered a feature request, since here are my ideas:
  • "Extremely drunk" alternative dialogs
  • Random chance while roaming for extremely drunk characters to become immobile, sit down, lie down, vomit (using "ready for doggy style" pose) or pass out, scaling with Drunk value. Custom dialogs for these states.
  • Player can try to wake up a passed out character. If this fails, they're done for the night. If it succeeds, they can be interacted with again.
  • Extreme negative reactions suppressed when extremely drunk
  • Suggestibility (Pressure) checks easier when extremely drunk
  • (Maybe) lock out intimacy positions that require the extremely drunk character to be "on top".
  • More alternative dialogs for the player when the player is drunk
  • "Drunky" characters aren't turned off when the player is drunk, and add friendship/romance in this situation if they like the player
I notice there is only one game event that can "sober up" the characters -- when you order or cook food. This makes it possible to lock games into a state where you can't send all the girls home because nobody's sober enough, but there's not enough alcohol left to get enough of them to pass out. Is this an intended failure mode?

My thought here is that the beds and couches could have the option to "nap", which lowers everyone's Drunk values by some amount. Question: is the sobering up of the player over time a built-in mechanic or is it modifiable in CSC?

I've also found what may be an oversight. If the Player is drunk, endgame quests cannot be advanced with the host. This is inconsistent with other character interactions, where if both are drunk you can proceed. However, you can bypass some of these barriers by giving relevant items to her (camera, broom). If the intent is to lock out the endgame for drunk Players, those item interactions should be rejected.
chimneyfish

fighteer wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:54 pm I see you are a man of culture. Notepad++ is my favorite general text editor as well. Do you consider those scripts proprietary or would you mind sharing?
The scripts are simple search and replace, so not at all proprietary. There's a zip file withe the latest scripts attached to this post. Put the shortcuts.xml file in your appdata\notepad++ directory. In notepad++, this will create a macro for each girl in the notepad++ macros menu. Run these on Amy's character file.
fighteer wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:54 pmWhat I'm trying to do (as a learning experience) is add more variations and behaviors when a character's Drunk value is greater than 10. Or maybe this could be considered a feature request, since here are my ideas:
  • "Extremely drunk" alternative dialogs
  • Random chance while roaming for extremely drunk characters to become immobile, sit down, lie down, vomit (using "ready for doggy style" pose) or pass out, scaling with Drunk value. Custom dialogs for these states.
  • Player can try to wake up a passed out character. If this fails, they're done for the night. If it succeeds, they can be interacted with again.
  • Extreme negative reactions suppressed when extremely drunk
  • Suggestibility (Pressure) checks easier when extremely drunk
  • (Maybe) lock out intimacy positions that require the extremely drunk character to be "on top".
  • More alternative dialogs for the player when the player is drunk
  • "Drunky" characters aren't turned off when the player is drunk, and add friendship/romance in this situation if they like the player
Lots of interesting ideas here. I might think about including some, but I'd encourage you to experiment with them yourself.
I notice there is only one game event that can "sober up" the characters -- when you order or cook food. This makes it possible to lock games into a state where you can't send all the girls home because nobody's sober enough, but there's not enough alcohol left to get enough of them to pass out. Is this an intended failure mode?
That's a bit of an edge case, since you have to have no teetotalers or "weed only" girls in your random group and then get all of them drunk. Even then it's not a total lockout, since you can still piss the drunk girls off enough to have them go home.
My thought here is that the beds and couches could have the option to "nap", which lowers everyone's Drunk values by some amount. Question: is the sobering up of the player over time a built-in mechanic or is it modifiable in CSC?
The player sobering up over time is built in. I've thought about incorporating a mechanic where the girls also sober up over time. Making this an intentional player choice is an interesting idea, too.
I've also found what may be an oversight. If the Player is drunk, endgame quests cannot be advanced with the host. This is inconsistent with other character interactions, where if both are drunk you can proceed. However, you can bypass some of these barriers by giving relevant items to her (camera, broom). If the intent is to lock out the endgame for drunk Players, those item interactions should be rejected.
I don't necessarily find this inconsistent. Although a drunk player walking up to the hostess and asking to talk might turn her off, handing her something she's specifically looking for might be enough to have her overlook the inebriation for a moment.
Attachments
shortcuts.zip
(4.85 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
fighteer

chimneyfish wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:08 pm In notepad++, this will create a macro for each girl in the notepad++ macros menu. Run these on Amy's character file.
Got it. I assume that all of the interactions in the Story container have to be set up by hand, since the macros don't run on the .story file? Do I need to give any consideration to the GUIDs that are referenced in the macro?
The player sobering up over time is built in. I've thought about incorporating a mechanic where the girls also sober up over time. Making this an intentional player choice is an interesting idea, too.
I have since come up with the idea of a periodic handler for various drunkenness effects that replaces some of the dialog events. For example, checking every five seconds for a FutureDrunk value, decrementing it, incrementing the character's Drunk state, then checking for ambient actions like falling down or passing out. These options could be configured in CompuBrah.
I don't necessarily find this inconsistent. Although a drunk player walking up to the hostess and asking to talk might turn her off, handing her something she's specifically looking for might be enough to have her overlook the inebriation for a moment.
Well, it's a little strange. I can give the hostess a drink and she suddenly doesn't care if I'm smashed, but she doesn't offer any dialogue related to quest actions. It's another thing I can play around with.
chimneyfish

fighteer wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:37 pm Got it. I assume that all of the interactions in the Story container have to be set up by hand, since the macros don't run on the .story file? Do I need to give any consideration to the GUIDs that are referenced in the macro?
Yep, do the stuff in the story container by hand.

You probably don't need to worry about the UUIDs, unless you start messing around with quests. Right now, all the main quests are in Derek, so they don't get affected by the macros.
peter980

chimneyfish wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:39 pm You probably don't need to worry about the UUIDs, unless you start messing around with quests. Right now, all the main quests are in Derek, so they don't get affected by the macros.
There is a trick with UUIDs.
If you remove this element and import it to CSC, you will get a random UUID.

So one thing that can be done is to have templates with UUIDs removed.

With that said, UUIDs are still important for quests and criteria groups (which are referenced by UUID and not their name) and they need to have them preserved.

Also, text bubbles use their UUID for translation strings, and you do not want them duplicated.