[Complete Story] Random Party [1.3.0]

Discuss and share Custom Stories made for House Party using our CSC tool.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.

Rules and Announcements for this subforum and the sharing of Custom Stories can be found here.

To upload your story to the CSU (Custom Story Uploader) so that users can download your story in-game, visit this link: https://csu.eekllc.com/
chimneyfish

Re: [Complete Story] Random Party [1.0.6/1.0.7]

fighteer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 am I know the reason for this. The story has a slight delay (2 seconds) between giving a character a drink and their Drunk value increasing, presumably for the sake of realism. The dialog trigger for "needs a drink" occurs when Drunk=0, so if you advance through the dialogs too quickly you'll hit this edge case...

The issue could be worked around by setting a character value "WasGivenDrink" or something like that, so it persists regardless of Drunk value, or having the dialog advance if "DrinkCooldown=1", indicating that the girl is still working on her current beverage.
Good suggestion, thanks. I'll explore this.
fighteer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 amNote that soda increases Drunk to 1, even though it's illogical, in order to prevent a teetotaler from constantly asking for a drink. Basically, Drunk=1 represents a character "loosening up" and being willing to party further.
The flavor text for drunk = 1 is "buzzed," so I'm considering it a sugar/caffeine buzz that does the loosening up.
fighteer

chimneyfish wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:57 am
fighteer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 am The issue could be worked around by setting a character value "WasGivenDrink" or something like that, so it persists regardless of Drunk value, or having the dialog advance if "DrinkCooldown=1", indicating that the girl is still working on her current beverage.
Good suggestion, thanks. I'll explore this.
Yeah, since I changed the Drunk value to update on a 5-second timer, I'm running into this more and more, so I'm going to attach DrinkCooldown to the dialog. I'm also considering having Drunk never go below 1 for NPCs so that I don't have to refresh their drinks after getting food.

By the way, the event changes I made to have characters randomly sit, lie down, or pass out for high Drunk values are looking pretty good.
chimneyfish wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:57 am The flavor text for drunk = 1 is "buzzed," so I'm considering it a sugar/caffeine buzz that does the loosening up.
This is my interpretation too. It works well enough for the story.
fighteer

By the way, I came up with another cool idea: a chance to have one of the characters at the party (besides the host) already know the player. This wouldn't change much except to give an initial Friendship modifier, much as the Rebounding trait gives a boost to Romance.

Taking it further, if the character has LikesMen < 0, it probably means their bad experience was with the player, so that adds a negative factor. It could be possible to show up to a party with someone who already knows you and hates your guts. :D

There's also a counter that reduces the chance each time KnowsPlayer is true, so it's extremely unlikely for the player to show up to a party with exactly one degree of separation.
noobfromthe978

Here's an idea. Get the hostess alone. After she tells you about the other guests, you choose the "how am I supposed to get laid..." option. One of three things could happen. One, she could get pissed (shit list and cold shower), which would imply jealousy to some degree. Two, no change in the friendship or romance meter, which would imply open-mindedness. Or three, you get a boost to both meters and she gives you the combination to the safe.

Here's another idea. If the hostess is on the rebound and open-minded, she might have the urge to forget all party etiquette and take you upstairs to have sex. After having sex with the hostess, you can either go home or stay and until you've had sex with as many of the others as possible.
Catch your magic moment
Do it right here and now
It means everything
-Van Halen, "Right Now"
fighteer

I like the idea of a hostess with the proper personality being willing to have sex with the player immediately, but that does defeat the point of the quest progression in the story. She's a responsible girl; she has to keep her friends happy.
chimneyfish

Yes, the idea has a lot of merit, but it would be a TON of programming to handle this edge case, unfortunately.
peter980

Yeah, this was one part of the story I did not like. A lot of the story is about randomness, yes hostess behaviors is pretty much fixed in stone for the whole story.
chimneyfish

peter980 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:48 pm Yeah, this was one part of the story I did not like. A lot of the story is about randomness, yes hostess behaviors is pretty much fixed in stone for the whole story.
Understood. Unfortunately, it would be a lot of work to change at this point.

Have you tried to get the new threesome endings yet? The hostess' personality can lead to different results in that scenario.

I'm adding to my list: "add personality flavor when the hostess tells the player to wait until the end of the party." This won't change her behavior, but at least she'll talk about the end game a little more randomly.
noobfromthe978

Just came up with another idea/suggestion. This has to do with language. Language always gives you away. If the hostess has awkward pauses in her speech or a lot of "ums" and "uhs", it usually means that this is the first time she's hosted something like this. You've already done well with how the rebounding straight hostess greets the player.
Catch your magic moment
Do it right here and now
It means everything
-Van Halen, "Right Now"
fighteer

noobfromthe978 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:08 pm Just came up with another idea/suggestion. This has to do with language. Language always gives you away. If the hostess has awkward pauses in her speech or a lot of "ums" and "uhs", it usually means that this is the first time she's hosted something like this. You've already done well with how the rebounding straight hostess greets the player.
If you have Background Chatter Subtitles turned on, you can "listen in" on the characters' conversations with each other. Many of these these will give clues about their personalities.