1) Verify that your PC meets or exceeds ALL of our minimum system requirements. These can be found on our website or linked to from the site you used to purchase the game
2) Please read and follow the guidance of this document on Security Software interfering with House Party. These steps can fix a wide number of issues.
3) Verify Integrity of Game Files in Steam, or whichever store platform/launcher you use to start House Party, if possible. As an example, follow this link for official Steam instructions on how to do this. A full uninstall and reinstall may also help as an initial step. See the "Important System/Asset Locations" section below for more before attempting a full uninstall.
4) In the Main Menu (or in-game Pause Menu) Graphics Settings, try toggling between windowed and fullscreen modes, then restarting, to see if this resolves your issue.
5) Ensure that House Party is the only active program running. Close all:
- Non-mandatory vendor-provided graphics, audio, and/or hardware or input management tools like Asus Sonic Studio 3, etc.
- Non-critical background programs, including non-Microsoft applications
- Nvidia GeForce Experience or AMD's Crimson ReLive + Overlay, etc.
- The Steam/Epic/GOG or any other launcher/client overlays
- Third-party programs that could display overlays or pop-up windows
- Streaming/recording software, DVR Apps, and any XBOX/Windows Gaming apps
- Apps that add post-processing or other rendering effects, such as ReShade
STILL HAVING ISSUES?
Note: for references to "Installation Folders", etc., see the "Important System/Asset Locations" section below.
Click the link below that is most appropriate to your issue, or search for it:
- T1: Story/Data Errors | Failure to Extract Stories | Red Text on Main Menu: "Latest Story File not Found" or "Error Writing Story Files..." | Cannot Start New Game | Custom Stories Unable to Install/Uninstall
- T2: Stability | Crashing or App Hangs | Intermittent Audio or Graphics Glitches | Performance Issues (FPS, or Mouse/Free Look "Lag")
- T3: Download/Network Errors | Red Text on Main Menu: "Cannot Download Stories..." | Connection Timeouts | Cannot Download Custom Stories
- T5: Steam Issues | House Party Stops Updating | Game Will not Download | Error: "Paused: Content File Locked" | Disk Read/Write Errors
If none of the above sections help, have your basic system specs (CPU, GPU, memory/RAM amount, and Windows version) ready before reporting a problem. Please also see this post for info on how to obtain logs for us. More details leads to faster turnaround time in addressing your issue, which helps everyone!