Crashing on start with Steam

For posting information about any bugs, crashes, or graphical issues you encounter while playing House Party. Not the place for general, gameplay, or spoiler-related questions.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
DanL58

Crashing on start with Steam

I'm not sure if this is a game issue or a steam issue. Sorry if it has already been discussed, but I didn't see anything with the same circumstances.

My House Party icon has the start command "steam://rungameid/611790" which starts Steam and updates if necessary before starting the game. Since the update a few days ago the game has been crashing when loading. The game opening screen and menu loads but when selecting either a new game or load an existing game it freezing and I get the Windows message that it is not responding. I start the game again and everything is fine and I can play the game.

I'm sure I could start the game by using the exe file without loading Steam, but I like the fact that Steam checks for updates before loading. Is this a game error or a Steam error.

Thanks
eekdon

Re: Crashing on start with Steam

DanL58 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 pm I'm not sure if this is a game issue or a steam issue. Sorry if it has already been discussed, but I didn't see anything with the same circumstances.

My House Party icon has the start command "steam://rungameid/611790" which starts Steam and updates if necessary before starting the game. Since the update a few days ago the game has been crashing when loading. The game opening screen and menu loads but when selecting either a new game or load an existing game it freezing and I get the Windows message that it is not responding. I start the game again and everything is fine and I can play the game.

I'm sure I could start the game by using the exe file without loading Steam, but I like the fact that Steam checks for updates before loading. Is this a game error or a Steam error.

Thanks
To properly test this out, you'd have to completely uninstall the game and delete all the remaining files in Documents, AppData, etc. Then reinstall the game via Steam, making sure you are not opting into a Beta or Testing branch in the game properties. Then, before doing anything else, run it via the .exe. Then, try running it via Steam. If it's not consistent...then that's a much harder call. You'd need to provide the output_log.txt since it doesn't sound like Unity is recording the error (when this happens it gives you the option to look at the log files and suggests you send them to the developer). Rather, it sounds like a generic Windows AppHang. The output log would be the only runtime evidence of what is going on, other than full-on debugging the program with a dev build, etc.