0.21.1 Unable to Keybind D to Walk Backwards

For posting information about any bugs, crashes, or graphical issues you encounter while playing House Party. Not the place for general, gameplay, or spoiler-related questions.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
WildElf

Re: 0.21.1 Unable to Keybind D to Walk Backwards

ESDF player since 1999. I don't know if it was broken before (I had no trouble binding before 0.22.0) but they changed it, their new bind system is kinda broken, but it's workable. I suggest doing this all in the main menu.

First, you have to unbind E. For some reason they don't let you replace binds (even though they let you delete a binding completely!) so you have to clear the path ahead of time. Del for now, pick a new one after (since you probably want W for Interactions).

Second get rid of the look around. We need the F from it. If you actually want it, bind it out of the way in the arrow keys, at least until you bind movement and can repeat these steps if you want look around somewhere specific, or you can just delete them and put them back in later too.

Then delete all four movement keys. This is to avoid them stepping on each other. In addition to not letting us bind replace, they also hide errors in these combo binds, so when D and S conflict with themselves, there's no alert telling you why the binding isn't working (you're just told F, the last key, is already bound, even when its not).

With the keys clear, you should be able to bind ESDF without a problem.

It's a trash fire, but it works. Hopefully they give some love to custom key binders.

TL;DR -- you now have to delete all keys that might get in the way of binds you want to make first. They won't let you replace them on the fly. Delete anything blocking ESDF (including the default of WASD movement) then bind ESDF to movement.
peter980 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:54 am I'm kinda curious, what goal are you trying to accomplish by moving all movement keys by one key to the left?
The goal is to let my muscle memory work. I've been playing this way for 23 years. My brain no longer understands WASD and rebels when forced to use it. (ESDF is moved one key to the right, by the way.)

But why did I switch in the first place? Simple: More keys on the left.

W & A become viable keys for interactions. Instead of being crammed against CAPS LOCK (which I never want to use) and TAB (often used for a quick menu or something), the circle of easy to reach keys is 6 (AQWRTG) instead of only 4 (QERF). Suddenly there's room to balance things. Z is also an easier reach, and L-Shift and L-Ctrl still in easy reach.

If there's tilt, turn, or roll kind of movement, those can go into W and R and you still have Q and A and T and G for special actions instead of putting them in a weird place, like the bottom row. In action games, there's often the generic Use plus special actions or attacks. These are great for the left side, with the right side for specialty utility actions which might be flashlights, grenades, reload, or talk actions (F, R, and T are often pre-bound to some of these, but there's plenty of room to move them if its not a good fit). Since making the choice for Quake 3, I've been surprised how many times its benefited me. Like, a few games have up/down movement. Q and A become perfect for this, instead of a default that's often L-shift/L-ctrl or C and X or other less intuitive choices by designers.

Why not go further and do RDFG? My pinky doesn't reach that far. Q goes out of reach, A is difficult. And I haven't found a need to try to squeeze in more.

It's just a general improvement all around. ESDF is simply the perfect placement. The only downside is those devs who think WASD is good enough for everyone and don't let you change it ( :x ) , or make it difficult.