dutch translation

For any and all posts containing House Party translations by our users, discussing the translation system, or reporting issues with translating House Party.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
contramundi

dutch translation

Hi,

i wanna take over the dutch translation for house party but i had a couple of questions:

1) how does it work when the game gets updated? do i need to manually check the already translated file with the new english template posted on this forum to see what lines got added? Or do the lines get added into the existing translation text automatically?
2) how do i get the translation templates for the custom stories? I've tried importing them with unity then export the templates but all i get is the story one not the characters involved (like amy/ashley/madison for the valentine story)
ttant

Re: dutch translation

1. In my case, i do a diff between old and new template to fix what changed/was added.
2. you have to export template for each character too.
Note: for other stories, you have to change the story name of each character present in taht other story, otherwise csc 11.3 can't import character files.
contramundi

ty,

i've managed to figure it out with your help.

regarding the difference in files, do you use a program for it or do you manually compare each line?

I've compared a few already translated files from version 0.10.4 with the new 0.11.3 template but i saw that in one file they where added between other lines, which makes it a bit harder to tell what's new or not.

Ah well, seeing as there's a new public version incoming, i'm gonna focus on the side stories right now and see about the main story once a new template has been released.
contramundi

question,

if tekst is removed from the story template, does that mean the line is going to be gone for good?

Or is it better to keep it in the translated file in case it returns in a future version?
ttant

To do the diff, i mostly use winmerge. But other tools like kdiff3 can also do the job.

In fact, i use a tool named qsptool (http://qsptools.blogspot.com - require java to run) to do most of the translation for me:
1. I extract the english template of the version i want to translated.
2. With QspTools, using a special parser (not provided by the link on the website), i got an XML file containing all sentences to translate in XYZ language (let's say dutch) and the dutch translation.
The translation can be done by the tools itself, i recommend to use yandex 1.5 with a free key to get rid of the translation limitation.
The tools can also use an already existing XML file to avoid translating again already translated sentences.
3. then i check all machine translated to remove all mistake and bad translation
4. I delete all **.txt file i parse in step 2 and rename all ***.txt.ori to ***.txt
5. I redo the translation on the english template with "void translator" and the fixed XML from previous step. This time i got a complete translated template.
6. i delete all ***.txt.ori as i don't need them anymore.

When a new version is published, i just redo the whole process using saved XML files from previous translation.
Thanks to that, i only have to fix the last entries from the XML without too much difficulties.
So now you all know how i do my translation.

I also have another tools which can order dialog to get a coherent dialog (ie Madison dialog X > Player answer Y, madison reply Z, and do on).
This ordered dialog file helps me to make sure i don't break some joke like (this is not the exact dialog, but you'll get the idea):
Player: "do you know where i can score some mary-jane"
Stephanie : ' i don't know someone call like that"
That can break the joke, if they're translated independently without knowing the context.
contramundi

I'll look into what you posted,

would be nice to get the dialogs in the proper order when translating but i kinda prefer to do my own translation instead of using a translation machine. 9 out of 10 english > dutch translations are a shitshow at best.
ttant

I totally agree with you.
In fact, qsptools was design to translate russian qsp games to english. As I don't speak russian, it was better for me to get a crappy translation then fix it using context than nothing ;)