Where to Start for New Guy

For general House Party discussion, gameplay questions, and feedback. Also where to ask questions about how to avoid Frank of the House "Fister", First of His Name.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
tripod

Where to Start for New Guy

OK couldn't find a thread on this so best way to find out is to ask. Don't shoot me just yet I just got here and have a butt-load of questions.
I have found and downloaded some of the Stories and they mostly work for me on the new platform 13.3 ( I think ) lots of fun. I assume that the Story Maker at the top of that forum is the latest to use CSC wise 0.12.4 ?

Next big question is a big one:
Can the CSC be ran on an independent machine that isn't associated to or with Steam and at the moment game free but connected to internet ( I am on Steam for games ) If so how can I do it to dabble with the CSC and hopefully story ideas. I have an idea of creating the path of the HP game on the machine I want to use and copy the files. I don't know if that would do it or not. So I ask here where I may possibly get a way to do this.

I feel like I am looking for my Sky Animal ; I have so so many questions!!!!! :oops:
ttant

Re: Where to Start for New Guy

Yes, CSC is independant of the game. You just have to install the expected version of unity3d to runs it (internet acces is not mandatory).

Fyi, CSC 0.12.4 is designed for HP 0.12.4. A new CSC version is expected soon to deal with 0.13.x new stuff.
tripod

Good to know.
Is there a specific path like mentioned above or just where ever to work on. I know the path is specified to place the stories files.
I have some of the older 11 something and 12.4 stories installed and they seem to work well.
I am assuming I can start with the one listed in the stories forum to get started before I forget the idea ( you would have had to see my intro to get that one :) ) Then import into 13.x when it is available.

Maybe I am getting close to finding my Skyanimal....
tripod

ttant:
I am still having a hell-of a time getting things straight. I downloaded Unity 2018 2.20 and had to registered to get a license then it wanted Visual Studio 2017 and downloaded that. All installed and CSC files associated to Unity to open the load me first file. I have changed or think I have a couple if the girls personalities , I tried to make a game start" walk to" scene as in the older than I am video. but to the hot tub. I also changed the story name on those two to test story. I add I think to all of the above. The unity looks nothing like the video and there is NO GUI that I can figure out. to check things with.
The game files are not on the computer that unity and CSC files are. I don't think I can copy the game over to that computer as it is associated and downloaded from and to Steam. I don't know if that is a problem or not. Of course this ver of unity looks totally different than the video by Bobby. I looked through the CSC help forum and couldn't find any thing really helpful, and I am sure that I missed or skipped a step or ten....

I think my Sky Animal is going to be the "Elusive Wingless Dumb-ass"
chimneyfish

Unfortunately, unlike in the old video, there is no way to test your story directly in unity with the current CSC. You need to export it and load it up in the game for testing. That will make working on two different computers a bit of a pain, I imagine.
tripod

I will have to give that a try if I can find how to export to a .story file or do you just change the end from unity to story. moving files is hoe I have been loading stories any way.
chimneyfish

There is an export story button in the CSC. Then you'll have to copy the exported files over to the other machine.
tripod

It is oblivious that I have done something wrong or didn't get a good copy of the CSC program/files I do see the characters in Unity, and have changed a couple of Personalities ( I think ) Not being any familiar with Unity I have tried two different versions with no success what ever importing a story or character file from the zip files. The import is looking for a file name or extension that isn't in the folders or location of the files. It boils down to I don't think I did it right and have a wrong version or missing a step some where along the line. It looked so easy in the video !!! You have to also take into account that being a patient in the Geriatric ward is a hindrance too.
Maybe I should move this over to the Help with CSC Forum and start all over. I am beginning to think that just drafting up a rough outline of the story line/idea and posting it would be easier, but I sure wanted to take a crack at it. Maybe one day