Custom Story Files Refuse to Load

For general House Party discussion, gameplay questions, and feedback. Also where to ask questions about how to avoid Frank of the House "Fister", First of His Name.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
giovannig

Custom Story Files Refuse to Load

Hello,
Everytime I try to load custom story files for the game, they don't show up as an option. Anyone have any suggestions? I saved files to documents/Eek/House Party/Mods/Stories.
eekdon

Re: Custom Story Files Refuse to Load

Hi,

What version of the game were these custom stories made for? What version of House Party are you using?

Did you extract the folder OUT of the download and place it in Mods\Stories? The game will not read from a user-created archive (.rar, .zip, etc.).
drowningmanatee

I'm having the same issue as giovannig. I'm using 0.9.6 and the files are from this website and say they were designed for that specific version and beyond. I always unzip the files and place them in the Stories subfolder. Everything I've done to install custom stories is identical to what I used to, and it worked previously, but randomly has decided to stop working around 0.9.0 and hasn't worked since. I'm at a loss.

In addition I have been able to play one recent mod that was just the original story with two modified characters. Beyond this nothing in the Stories folder is visible in the dropdown menu (aside from the default stories) when I launch the game.
eekdon

drowningmanatee wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:06 pm I'm having the same issue as giovannig. I'm using 0.9.6 and the files are from this website and say they were designed for that specific version and beyond. I always unzip the files and place them in the Stories subfolder. Everything I've done to install custom stories is identical to what I used to, and it worked previously, but randomly has decided to stop working around 0.9.0 and hasn't worked since. I'm at a loss.

In addition I have been able to play one recent mod that was just the original story with two modified characters. Beyond this nothing in the Stories folder is visible in the dropdown menu (aside from the default stories) when I launch the game.
Can you give an example of a custom story that is not working for you?
drowningmanatee

Just an example, Much Sluttier Party http://forum.eekllc.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=324 is one I've downloaded, unzipped, and placed in the Stories folder with the other 3 default stories. But when I launch the game, from the dropdown list only the default ones are available. I've even tried temporarily replacing the files in the Original Story folder with the files in this one to see if it would load it that way, to no avail.
hungle

drowningmanatee wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:09 pm Just an example, Much Sluttier Party http://forum.eekllc.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=324 is one I've downloaded, unzipped, and placed in the Stories folder with the other 3 default stories.
What's the name of the folder you get when you unzip the file? If it's Much Sluttier Party v1.4 then rename it to Much Sluttier Party because the folder name needs to match the .story filename for the story to be detected/work.
drowningmanatee

Renaming it did the trick. I was confused because it didn't use to work like that from what I remember, but I understand there's been a lot of changes to the game so not everything is going to always work the same.