My troubles with the CSC 0.15.5

Report any bugs you may encounter with the House Party CSC here.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
PeterSunday

My troubles with the CSC 0.15.5

CSC 0.15.5

My biggest Issue:

1) The Evnet "Reached target character player" always let all Dialogs of that Character disapear / inaccesible.
Modifiying that Event to anything else example "none" will not resolve the issue.
You have to delete the whole Event! You have no idea how many hours it took me to figure out what is wrong. And happend to me twice becouse I forgot about that after a few month.

2) If you Change an Event to "none" you get an Event number 10060 or 0 depending on what the Event was before. If you change an event then there shouldn't be any dependency of what the event was before. It leads to things like 1).

3) Wish that the player were a character like all the other NPCs. I need events for my player. Since there was no place I had to place it on Amys char.

4) If you create Events for a Char..does it make sense for each action to specifiy that it is for that specific char? better/less work would be an object oriented approach.

5) The copy all should not only exsist for criterias but for whole events

6) Event's sorting with a priorty number is extremly bad. The arrows you have elsewhere are more usable. Drag and drop would be most comfortable.

7) Wish there is a way to display character values in a dialog. (maybe there is and I don't know how)

8) The limited criterias/conditions. It's a Logic AND. You should provide AND and OR. For the OR logic I have to create multiple Events mostly a copy past.

9) RandomGenerator. FlipCoin is not enough..need number 0 to 100 (helped my self but why not provide that)

10) Delayed action.. Not fully clear to me....if I want to execute 2 actions in a event I seem to have to delay both with the same amount.

11) Intimate action... Would like to specify which one get's warped.

For 10 and 11 in my FunTogether story for the "All on me" action I wanted a CowGirl Action. Problem the player get's teleported to the woman.

If the girl is not busy this 3 action will do it:
- warp,
- cowgirl start
- assign flag / marking value that the action has been started

If she is busy:
. end intimacy
- warp, delay 1sec
- cowgirl start, delay 1sec
- assign flag / marking value that the action has been started, delay 1sec

if I do not make a delay for the flag value assignment the mark/value doesnt seems to become set.
right I could pack all 3 actions into a new event..and call it with delay 10 but then I have +10 events per char....

12) Glad I do not have many dialogs...but the dialog system looks unproductive/not fit to me to do something larger. The events at least have a copy function.

Nothing dramatic..just the problems I hit when working with CSC 0.15.5 yesterday on FunTogether V1.4.0

cheers!

p.s. You should really integrate VR. That game is perfect for virtual reality.
ttant

Re: My troubles with the CSC 0.15.5

Point 7 is (sadly) not developed.
One custom story author used 50 alternative text with criteria just to display the number of whatever you got from 0 to 50 :roll:

VR is on its way, check patreon post from last month.

Point 8 was already discussed. I don't know when it will be available.
https://forum.eekllc.com/viewtopic.php? ... p=531#p531

Point 9 was also discussed in another thread, but still, a valid random method would be more effective/usefull.
https://forum.eekllc.com/viewtopic.php?t=468

I'll let erasmus or other users answer for others point, as i only use CSC to extract translation templates.
Sorry for the lack of solutions :oops:
PeterSunday

Thanks for your answer.
After working so long with the CSC I felt to give a feedback so dev can see what users from outside see troublesome or have problems with.
So not a real call for help I could work around the most things and build V1.4.0 at the end.

Point 7 answer is an idea..didn't really think of that. But guess that then I would do in a texteditor outside CSC to get anywhere in a resonable time. ;)

Uh about that RandomGen solution in that other topic ..sounds to me that they think too complicated....I should post my solution. Hope I won't forget it tomorrow. If you know successive approximation used in A/D converters that's how I build the RandomGen in FunTogether.

Edit: just read e2pii posts there. Yes thats the way except that I started with the MSB (largest value) and halfed it down and ranged/limited it to a user friendly 100 instead a mod 2 number with the cost of slightly inbalance . So no need to post my solution. e2pii's one is perfect.

Great to hear VR is coming!
eekdon

I've read through this but I'll have to reply when I can. Some good questions/issues raised here, just very busy with dev work for our next update.
eekdon

1) I don't fully grasp what you're talking about, and with the most recent download of the CSC (note that we hot fixed 0.15.5 days after its original release) I am not seeing any problems with the ReachTarget event trigger. https://vimeo.com/393076026/811b6e4e4a

2) The back end is comprised of the same structure for ALL game events. "Dependency" is the wrong word; that implies that the subsequent event data relies on the first. We just don't clear out data when a game event type is changed. This lets you set up something like "Combat : Derek : Passout" and then copy paste that, change the event type to SendEvent, and NOT have to reselect Derek. I cannot reproduce #1 but I do know what happens when the GUI bugs out due to possible exceptions.

3) The Player is technically a Character just like NPCs; they both inherit from the parent Character class. A lot of event data is tied to Characters for calculation and execution and we've never found the convenience of a "disembodied" event handling "object" to be worth code restructuring. I have not played your story but the number of times that you cannot tie a player-centric event to a character (even if it's just "this is relevant to so-and-so's plot line or events) and have it make sense is very low.

4) No. This would make people who want to set up an event trigger in another Character's story (if you, for instance, want to keep ALL events related to Katherine in Katherine's story, even if they involved Frank) work with dropdowns more often. And event triggers fire FROM characters, so in some cases there is actually no point in selecting the Character themselves, or at least only niche usage.

5) Yeah, that's something that's been on the to-do list for awhile. The next update will have some additional tools to make population of many events a bit more palatable.

6) Well, the order is important on the back-end, but yes I felt the arrows were a nice touch. There will be even more arrow buttons spread around the interface in the next update. We are restricted to Unity GUIEditor and Editor-related functionality for this tool so drag-drop may never be a thing.

7) We've got a feature request ticket open for that. We'll try to get to it when we can.

8) Criteria Groups will address this in the next update.

9) You can randomly add values up to get a functional random number generator (like coinflip value add 1, coinflip value add 2...add 4, etc.), but I know, not incredibly convenient. Also something we can look into adding.

10) Not following; events in an event trigger or On Start Dialogue, etc. all fire based on Order and Delay, but they WILL all fire if the parent event trigger fires and their individual criteria are met.

11) Aligning two bodies has certain technical restrictions. All I can advise would be careful story construction and possibly using narrative/UI distraction in the form of "hey look Player, over here!" or Fade Out events, etc.

12) We have characters with hundreds of dialogues in the Original Story. Similar to #5, we can look further into copying large sets of events...but dialogues themselves are pretty straightforward, so I'm not entirely following the issue here.

We've got VR as a goal for after exiting Early Access. Thanks for the feedback and support! Good luck with your story ;)
PeterSunday

Thank you for your answer. Didn't want to create you work.

1) There are 2 threads in this forum that hit the same porblem. I detected them later so I didn't know.:

-> Event got corrupt?
-> [0.15.5]Export Issues

I do not know how I created the reach target event but if you do it in a certain way with the dropdown boxes it can end up nonfunctional and furthermore blocks all dialogs / displayed texted of said character. If you then just modify the event make it a non event the damage stays.
You have to delete the event and create it new and in the one correct way. Don't know what the correct way and the wrong one is..but you should be able to reproduce that with try and error. The error is in 0.15.5 and earlier. Best to add a game start event to a character where you display the game start notification. You will notice that when the event is corrupt this message at the game start is never displayed!

3) Agree. I did not make a classical story. There is no plot/story. It's more do the same thing for everyone. Therefore for em a copy had been handy.

10) Strange. If I have an event with a delay of 10 sec and right after a modify value without the delay. The value modification seems to me is never done or at least in ahead of the event. Usually if I have a list of events I want them to be processed in that given order. To ensure it is working that way I have to add the 10 sec to everything after too. Might be wanted that way can't tell.

12) ok

Thanks. :)
peter980

PeterSunday wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 am 10) Strange. If I have an event with a delay of 10 sec and right after a modify value without the delay. The value modification seems to me is never done or at least in ahead of the event. Usually if I have a list of events I want them to be processed in that given order. To ensure it is working that way I have to add the 10 sec to everything after too. Might be wanted that way can't tell.
If you put action with delay, it schedules that action with delay. It will not pause all other actions in the flow until that action is done.
Additionally, a good thing to know is that any criteria that are added to the delayed action are tested at the delayed time.

So if you want to do two actions, one to happen after 10s and another 1s after it, you would put first at 10s and second at 11s.

Sometimes, it may be more practical to bundle multiple actions in an new event (with never trigger), if they all happen delayed.
chimneyfish

peter980 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:50 pm
PeterSunday wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 am 10) Strange. If I have an event with a delay of 10 sec and right after a modify value without the delay. The value modification seems to me is never done or at least in ahead of the event. Usually if I have a list of events I want them to be processed in that given order. To ensure it is working that way I have to add the 10 sec to everything after too. Might be wanted that way can't tell.
If you put action with delay, it schedules that action with delay. It will not pause all other actions in the flow until that action is done.
Additionally, a good thing to know is that any criteria that are added to the delayed action are tested at the delayed time.

So if you want to do two actions, one to happen after 10s and another 1s after it, you would put first at 10s and second at 11s.

Sometimes, it may be more practical to bundle multiple actions in an new event (with never trigger), if they all happen delayed.
Yeah. Delay is not "delay from the last event on the list" it's "delay from when this whole event trigger started." This tripped me up for a while at first, too. The order of the list only matters if the delays are the same.
eekdon

PeterSunday wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 am Thank you for your answer. Didn't want to create you work.

1) There are 2 threads in this forum that hit the same porblem. I detected them later so I didn't know.:

-> Event got corrupt?
-> [0.15.5]Export Issues

I do not know how I created the reach target event but if you do it in a certain way with the dropdown boxes it can end up nonfunctional and furthermore blocks all dialogs / displayed texted of said character. If you then just modify the event make it a non event the damage stays.
You have to delete the event and create it new and in the one correct way. Don't know what the correct way and the wrong one is..but you should be able to reproduce that with try and error. The error is in 0.15.5 and earlier. Best to add a game start event to a character where you display the game start notification. You will notice that when the event is corrupt this message at the game start is never displayed!

Thanks. :)
For the 0.16.x CSC we did fix a few exceptions that could occur when copy pasting events that involved the Player or changing a selection in a dropdown. Hopefully this will take care of any outlying occurrences.