[0.15.5]Export Issues

Report any bugs you may encounter with the House Party CSC here.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
chimneyfish

[0.15.5]Export Issues

I am working on updating Katherine's Party using the latest release of the CSC. I have an event on Katherine previously programmed to trigger when Katherine:Reaches Target:Move Target:Player (see picture)
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 9126 times
Since that looks like an error in the new CSC, I change it to trigger when Katherine:Reaches Target:Character:Player
After.jpg
After.jpg (147.38 KiB) Viewed 9126 times
However, after I make this change and export the story, Katherine is completely broken. She doesn't execute her game start events and cannot be interacted with in the game. The debug log suggests her story is not being exported correctly. See attached, but the key errors seem to be:

Timestamp: 11/17/2019 03:49:10 PM, seconds since session start: 0.000
Log: Not a JSON file. Trying legacy format.

Timestamp: 11/17/2019 03:49:10 PM, seconds since session start: 0.000
Log: There was an error. Couldn't deserialize story: C:/Users/Patrick/Documents/Eek/House Party/Mods/Stories/Katherines Party/Katherines Party.character

The change to that one event appears to be the culprit, since if I change it back to Move Target and re-export, Katherine behaves nicely again.
Attachments
DebugLog 11_17_2019-034926PM.txt
(15.43 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
eekdon

Re: [0.15.5]Export Issues

That one isn't really a bug, more like a...premature addition of 0.16 mechanics. Kind of like the Criteria Groups, Warp Over Time, etc. If you leave the event alone entirely you should be fine. If you need to make a new ReachTarget event trigger, start off by selecting a Character, then swap the Option/type over to MoveTarget. That error in the CSC exists now to alert users of a data mismatch in case they make a mistake, but the presence of the error itself shouldn't affect the story once exported. Let me know if this workaround does *not* work.
eekdon

Oh, and avoid using anything related to the 'Die' combat option. It was never really meant to be used in the vast, vast majority of cases (Knock Out should do just about anything you need in terms of appearances and back-end behaviors), and can in some cases cause all kinds of issues.
peter980

Wait... but how then to add new Reach Target where the target is Player if it is missing in move target list and doesn't work in character list dropdown?!?
eekdon

It does work in the character list dropdown. You can select Character -> Player, and then change the type to Move Target. This error purposefully leaves the data in place without changing it. It's more of a "HEY THERE COULD BE AN ISSUE HERE" notification than it is a real error; it's a data mismatch warning that says "hey you have this type selected, but the value in the current data is not of this type". This was the best way of accomplishing error prevention without introducing any risk of data being automatically erased without user action being taken.
chimneyfish

The workaround works and I definitely appreciate the new approach of not deleting mismatched data.

I do worry that CSC users who haven't read this thread are going to get quickly frustrated when something that appears correct breaks their story, but it sounds like you plan to fix it by 0.16.
eekdon

I put up a little note on the CSC-related forums about various 0.15.5 issues.

Thanks!