Beer pong

For general House Party discussion, gameplay questions, and feedback. Also where to ask questions about how to avoid Frank of the House "Fister", First of His Name.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
DanL58

Beer pong

I don't think I have seen anyone mention the beer pong setup in the garage yet. Is there a connection to the rest of the game play or possibly for a future version? I tried the practice mode once with no luck. Had ping pong balls going everywhere except the cups.
eekdon

Re: Beer pong

DanL58 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:05 am I don't think I have seen anyone mention the beer pong setup in the garage yet. Is there a connection to the rest of the game play or possibly for a future version? I tried the practice mode once with no luck. Had ping pong balls going everywhere except the cups.
Yeah we're going to tie it into NPC behavior and opportunities in the future. I think the Help text probably needs to be cleaned up, but otherwise from videos I see the biggest problem is a slight lack of vertical and forward momentum on our end of things, and folks releasing the handcursor/M1 a bit early. It was weird putting together a mechanic that tries to replicate what you'd do with your hand IRL, but it feels more engaging than point-clicking or holding down a button to define forward momentum or something like that.
peter980

I'm still unable to this correctly most of the time.

While I understand now that you need to release mouse button, while keeping moving the mouse, it seems easier said then actually done for most of the people.

Somehow I feel controls will get easier when they get ported to gamepad. :D
eekdon

Yeah it took me a little bit to get used to it and I wrote the thing :P Sometimes I do worse than 1 in 10-12 or so, usually get 2 or so out of 10, but once in awhile I can get 4 or 5 out of 10 if I'm lucky and trying my super hardest.

The act of releasing and pretending to actually be using a hand is a hard thing to translate over. Not only that but the hand cursor can move the camera (which is really rough if you lose sight of the cups/areas of the table), stutter or framerate issues can lead to misses, and there are some minor core momentum/physics issues. Most notably I don't think the balls have any "float" to them, as in that brief delay you'd see (and when drinking and playing beer pong it's almost a "feeling" :lol: ) before the ball's trajectory really starts to dip in a meaningful way. It's very hard to replicate exact real life behaviors that you'd see with ping pong ball materials vs. dixie cup materials vs. well...whatever wood that table is made of.

On the other hand, beer pong isn't easy IRL for a lot of people. Not that we're aiming for that level of difficulty for those folks, but in general throwing too hard, not hard enough, to far to the left/right, bouncing off cups, missing even though you felt like you "totally learned from that last throw brah and I got this shit this time!", etc. are all part of the experience. Having the game be something like "click here and hold to push the ball with X force" or enabling some sort of "auto aim" functionality seems...less than engaging. We want to add MORE mini games in the future too, and use the functionality (since it can be used for more things that might not be initially thought of as "games") in Office Party as well, so any suggestions are welcome. Especially before we make a mini game part of a major story sequence!
DanL58

Even though I still haven't gotten even 1 ball in the cups I think it good be a good addition to the game after some tweaking. Maybe include it as part of a quest or play with one of the characters with a "reward" for the winner.
eekdon

peter980 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm I'm still unable to this correctly most of the time.

While I understand now that you need to release mouse button, while keeping moving the mouse, it seems easier said then actually done for most of the people.

Somehow I feel controls will get easier when they get ported to gamepad. :D
The game currently isn't taking into account *ANY* pre-release mouse movement, only movement at the literal time of M1/LMB release. Or at least within one physics update frame of that. I've added a calculation to take into account a brief window of movement prior to the release and smooth and add that to the on-release momentum, which thus far seems to feel more forgiving. I've also added a very short window post-throw in which the player can add a bit of spin/curve, in any direction. This last part needs more tweaking (mostly cause there's a new handcursor anim that goes with it and it's not behaving...) but should allow for small "course corrections" in a mildly realistic manner.
RumRunner

My success rate is about the same as erasmus, with similar hot streaks, after a bit of warm up. I use an overhand toss and start above my head, near the garage door opener, and then make a smooth straight descent, releasing about head height or a little above. It's kinda addicting, but the new movement sounds really cool.