Quests

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
AnneRosa

Quests

Hey everyone!

I am having a bit of trouble with the custom story creator. I have worked with the character quests before and everything worked fine. Then I started working on a new story and used the "clear story" command to start off with a blank page. However, the quests will not appear in the game, although I created them exactly like before. All thecriteria connected to the quests do not work either. Is there anything neccessary for the quests that I deleted when clearing the story?

Plus, while we are on topic, is it really necessary to create the quests in the original character files? They will not show up in the pull down menu otherwise. Will this cause problems when sharing the custom story with others?

I really hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance, Ros
eekdon

Re: Quests

AnneRosa wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:40 am Hey everyone!

I am having a bit of trouble with the custom story creator. I have worked with the character quests before and everything worked fine. Then I started working on a new story and used the "clear story" command to start off with a blank page. However, the quests will not appear in the game, although I created them exactly like before. All thecriteria connected to the quests do not work either. Is there anything neccessary for the quests that I deleted when clearing the story?

Plus, while we are on topic, is it really necessary to create the quests in the original character files? They will not show up in the pull down menu otherwise. Will this cause problems when sharing the custom story with others?

I really hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance, Ros
Hey, so are you sure when clearing the story that all quest-related dialogue/event triggers etc. were re-implemented correctly? Also, did you use "Clear Story" on the Story asset AND a character story? I noticed that when using "Clear Story" on the Story asset it does NOT rename the story, but when using it on a character story it renames the story name to "New Story". If these don't match you're going to run into issues when testing/playing. Also, when using the CSC/editor sometimes you have to click off of an asset or wait a few seconds for the data to refresh, so perhaps an important linkage was missed?

I just cleared out Amy, cleared out the Story asset, renamed both assets' story names to "Test", set up a quick warpto amy kitchen at GameStart, made a test quest for her and tied it to her starting/default dialogue, and it appears to work fine. Obviously this is super simplistic but the quest DOES appear in-game.

What do you mean by "is it really necessary to create the quests in the original character files"? Quests are defined within character files, not the main story file. So to properly distribute a custom story to other players you need to have the quests you want defined in appropriate character files (along with other event triggers, dialogue, etc. etc.), tie them into your story as you see fit, and then all characters that have ANY sort of role in a quest or that execute a trigger, etc. "Applied to House Party Game" ("Apply Story to House Party Game").
AnneRosa

I created the quests in the character story and used the correct new story name. When the quests did not show up in the pull down menu while inserting triggers, I have created the same quests in the character story of the original story, which solved the problem before (when not clearing the stories completely). Having several quests with the same name could be the cause of the quests not appearing in the game.

However, the reason why I have created the "double quests" remains, which is that I cannot select the new quests (the secodn part of my original question), because the pull down menu will only show original story quests. I have noticed that this is also discussed in the "Quests not clearing" thread. http://forum.eekllc.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=116 The dialogue list was the same, but it updated eventually, even though it did so very slowly and after saving and working on the new story for a while.

Thanks for answering my question, I will continue the discussion in the respective thread!

Edit (to answer all the questions): I cleared out everything correctly.
eekdon

Alrighty no problem. The quest list (and other elements in Unity) should update faster if you click off of ALL components and objects (so just click a blank area in the heirarchy or asset panel), give it a second, then click back on the character or story. Not sure if it has to do with PC hardware but that works consistently and quickly for me.
atinykangaroo

Try changing the characters personality options, this helped my custom quests show in the drop down menu.