[0.12.4] Background Dialog Refinement

For posting information about any bugs, crashes, or graphical issues you encounter while playing House Party. Not the place for general, gameplay, or spoiler-related questions.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
chimneyfish

[0.12.4] Background Dialog Refinement

In recent playthroughs, I've encountered instances of background dialog playing when, ideally, the characters should have their attention focused on something else. Examples:
  • After completing Ashley's smooth operator opportunity, player is having sex with Ashley and Madison walks into the room. Then Ashley starts saying her background dialogs. A bit of a blow to the ego, since she really should be focused on the player :P
  • After making Ashley drunk and disorderly, she starts marching toward Madison and falls down. After she gets up, she starts saying her background dialogs. Still marching angrily toward Madison, but now she doesn't sound so drunk and angry, talking about hiding the whipped cream and such.
  • While Ashley and Madison are fighting, everyone gathers around to watch. But they also play their background dialogs. Must be a pretty boring fight.
So these aren't really bugs, but they are kind of immersion-breaking. Also kind of funny, I guess.
peter980

Re: [0.12.4] Background Dialog Refinement

As far as I've figured out, they play either:
1) If characters are socializing. Note that characters are not socializing during sex.
2) If character is shooing other character to get away from location

Case 2 is obviously problem for sex scenes and similar scenarios when one character is supposed to kick others out, instead chatter.

As for case 1, only way to prevent it is to give character state that disables socializing. It is done in couple of places in original story. For example when Derek looks for cat. Obviously should be added for fight audience too.
eekdon

You're saying Ashley is using Background Chatter lines *while* having sex? That shouldn't be possible. If you mean immediately after...yes that is possible, but in 0.13.x we've added a delay post-sex of about 20 seconds before characters can start using Background Chatter again. We may need to do the same with post-combat wake-ups.

Yeah, the "watch the Mads vs. Ash fight" sequence is something that can be story controlled.
peter980

In case of characters with shoo others state it can happen during the sex, I think.
chimneyfish

Yes, I definitely observed Ashley use Background Chatter during sex.
eekdon

Alright thank you, I'll give the system some more testing before the next update.