Floor plan on scale

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
Device666

Floor plan on scale

A map of the floor downstairs, witg grid. The orange gridline is the zero line.

Darkest grey corresponds to chairs
The light grey inside the house corresponds to impassable areas (things like the kitschensink etc)
The large light grey areas at the top of the map are impassable areas
The neutral grey areas outside are things like firepit, hottub and gazebo
The orange areas are doors. Doors which cannot be opened are impassable gery (such as frontdoor)
The stairs has 15 steps, on scale as well.

Just rightclick on mouse then download image, then you see this is a very large image that you can zoom in onto.
Attachments
FloorDownstairs.png
FloorDownstairs.png (718.28 KiB) Viewed 22259 times
FloorUpstairs.png
FloorUpstairs.png (630.05 KiB) Viewed 22260 times
FloorUpstairs.png
FloorUpstairs.png (630.05 KiB) Viewed 22261 times
Last edited by Device666 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kevner

Re: Floor plan on scale

This seems handy. It could be useful for another reason too when it has a visible grid. Since the console lets us warp to coordinates ('warpto player 0 0 0' brings you to the ground floor between the bathroom and thermostat for example) but it's a nightmare to use trying to figure out getting to where you want to go without a lot of guess and check testing. Marking the position after warping one value would determine the scale of the grid and essentially let us extrapolate everything else from there. The coordinate numbers seem to be on the same scale as the distance numbers too which is convenient, so the correct scale is already there, just without the zero axis placement yet.

At the moment though this warping only works using the console, but I'm hoping the CSC ends up with the capability at some point since it would open up a lot of possibilities.
eekdon

If you want to map exact distances (for instance, when used with the Distance feature in the CSC) you could place one character via story in each key area of the house (or warp them there using the console), then just do 'values CHARACTERNAME list' and you can measure distances between say, hallways and doors, door thresholds and room-centers, etc.
Device666

which is exactly what i did.
eekdon

Yeah seems to check out, pretty cool!
peter980

What I notice here is distinct lack of additional warpto location outside. For example, there is no floor location anywhere near where Stephanie dances outside (where three is placed). That's kinda glaring omission IMHO (if added, Stephanie should walk there, not to the mound itself, which is object).

Personally, I would love having additional locations populated near sides of the hot tube. One looking toward house, near hot tub entrance, one between gazebo and hot tub and one between fire pit and hot tub.
Device666

Hi Erasmus,
Just wantted to thank you for the zones added to the system. This made my custom scripted soluttion (which was finicky) not needed anymore. Also II very much like the MatchValue. I had a script which if you had the foamfinger in your inventory, and pulled off your tshirt, all other characters would put off their tshirt (same mechanic for the rest of the clothing options). Now I have a values for each piece of clothing, which are 0 or 1. So now I have a script called SyncClothes, which just matches these values on clothing and a script that will update the clothing. This saves a big "if else" structure. So MatchValue is a script that saves a lot of tedious hassle.

Maybe you forgot about that i mentioned earlier i was busy with a online story editor, where you can script the story in OOP style. MatchValues makes a world of difference as well there. I am still busy with and adding visual programming to it. So you can have two kinds of scripting views to the story.
What I basically do is using a generate a crazy load of values, use them as if they were a queue. One que is for a command, and other ques are for its parameters. Every command, item, character etc has id's. So this way it is easy to generate a representation of a story which can be translated back and forth via interpreter I wrote. It is a lot of work, but a fun thing to do. Anyways, when it is presentable i will send you a link so you can play with it.
eekdon

Device666 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 am Hi Erasmus,
Just wantted to thank you for the zones added to the system. This made my custom scripted soluttion (which was finicky) not needed anymore. Also II very much like the MatchValue. I had a script which if you had the foamfinger in your inventory, and pulled off your tshirt, all other characters would put off their tshirt (same mechanic for the rest of the clothing options). Now I have a values for each piece of clothing, which are 0 or 1. So now I have a script called SyncClothes, which just matches these values on clothing and a script that will update the clothing. This saves a big "if else" structure. So MatchValue is a script that saves a lot of tedious hassle.

Maybe you forgot about that i mentioned earlier i was busy with a online story editor, where you can script the story in OOP style. MatchValues makes a world of difference as well there. I am still busy with and adding visual programming to it. So you can have two kinds of scripting views to the story.
What I basically do is using a generate a crazy load of values, use them as if they were a queue. One que is for a command, and other ques are for its parameters. Every command, item, character etc has id's. So this way it is easy to generate a representation of a story which can be translated back and forth via interpreter I wrote. It is a lot of work, but a fun thing to do. Anyways, when it is presentable i will send you a link so you can play with it.
No problem ;) simple distance checks were driving me nuts as well. There are even more logic features coming in the next update (Criteria Groups being a big one that's saved me time recently) so stay tuned! What you're doing sounds interesting, it's just been awhile since I've looked at this post and in the meantime my tiny brain gets inundated with, well, all the game stuffs :P

The last CSC update completely freed the story creation engine from the core game engine, so you should actually be able to take the .dll and make use of it with third party programs or perhaps Unity itself. The key thing to remember there would be that file import and output/export structure and type would need to remain the same (i.e. still be a . character or .story file using our serialized structure) but HOW the story creator functions, looks, etc. between the moment of importing to the moment of exporting *should* be malleable now.
Devotion

Fooling around with the StoryCreator.
Trying to use these zones in the maps above, but for some reason the event 'Enters zone' or Criteria 'In zone' never trigger.

Ive tried 'When' on 'never' with the criteria and the 'When - Enters zone' withour the criteria, but nothing hits.

I can work around that by sending a character with movetarget instead of making him/her follow me, but that doesn't really fit my story. :lol:

How am I supposed to use 'Enters zone' and 'In zone'?
cruzcoda

Devotion wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:31 pm Fooling around with the StoryCreator.
Trying to use these zones in the maps above, but for some reason the event 'Enters zone' or Criteria 'In zone' never trigger.

Ive tried 'When' on 'never' with the criteria and the 'When - Enters zone' withour the criteria, but nothing hits.

I can work around that by sending a character with movetarget instead of making him/her follow me, but that doesn't really fit my story. :lol:

How am I supposed to use 'Enters zone' and 'In zone'?
The problem would be your criteria for her to already be in the zone, to detect if she's entered the zone. She can't already be someplace she's entering. Set that to false,or remove it entirely, and it should trigger.