[Feature Request] (Likely a repeat) Voiced dialog in custom Stories

Requests for new Custom Stories or discussion of your new Custom Story ideas.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
e2pii

[Feature Request] (Likely a repeat) Voiced dialog in custom Stories

Alternatively, make all the dialog from the Official Alternative Stories available in the Original Story for those who would like to use the overwrite method to get voiced dialog.
peter980

Re: [Feature Request] (Likely a repeat) Voiced dialog in custom Stories

Until support is added to load external resources, I think would be great to be able to map new dialogues to existing voice files.

For example, add some property to dialogue line with values like:
OriginalStory-Ashey-10
OriginalStory-Ashey-20-1

Which would mean use Ashley dialogue from original story for dialogue id 10, main line, and in second case first alternate line for dialogue id 20.

Even story with mostly new lines would benefit from having characters with couple of lines, like greeting lines, reused and voiced.
eekdon

We have a ticket in for this, we'll get to it as soon as we can!
ttant

In my point of view, better have no sounded dialogues than just a fews.

Don't get me wrong: Onomatopoeia, moans or any other emote sound use can be nice, but maybe get a voice line form time to time will be frustrating and strange.

So i would prefer to add "generic" sound to emphasis dialogues than not all dialogues.
Also, the possibility to add our own sound for a line can be a nice feature to have (but this will required few engine changes to load external resources)
peter980

ttant wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 am In my point of view, better have no sounded dialogues than just a fews.

Don't get me wrong: Onomatopoeia, moans or any other emote sound use can be nice, but maybe get a voice line form time to time will be frustrating and strange.
It matter of perspective. 15 years ago it was common for RPGs to have some voiced dialogue, and it was considered improvement over none.

IMHO, it's best left to creators to do what they would like in their stories. No reason to restrict options, if there is demand for them.

For example, great candidates are introductions dialogue and reaction dialogue. If you do not plan to create significantly different character, these are perfect to keep voiced.

Another thing worth mentioning that best RPGs devs from the time were actually good in hiding this. For example have some dialogue voices and have rest of the dialogue use some "foreign language". Others were having dialogue in cutscenes, while other dialogue that was not in cutscenes was not voiced, etc...

Note that I'm OK with having something like "emote" to be replacement for missing voice too. But for that to be good, we would need better emotes then available and some body language animations. You do not want this to be too much like Sims.
cesidio

Planescape torment has something like 200 voiced lines over 1 million total. But there is already a method about using all lines in custom story: naming your story original story. Just make backup because they will overwrite when they seek updates.
For voices in custom story with customized lines they should just use a robot voice method. The acting would be very bad of course.
peter980

The problem with original story method is that voice lines are hardcoded to dialogue id.

So dialogue id 5 will always use specific line etc hardcoded to that id, etc...

If this could be parametrized (like have custom story dialogue id 55 use voice originslly used for dialogue id 5 in original story), it would be great.
cesidio

peter980 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:58 am The problem with original story method is that voice lines are hardcoded to dialogue id.

So dialogue id 5 will always use specific line etc hardcoded to that id, etc...

If this could be parametrized (like have custom story dialogue id 55 use voice originslly used for dialogue id 5 in original story), it would be great.
Right now even if you don't change it there will be not voiced dialogue in custom stories.