How to set up CSC

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
peter980

How to set up CSC

After the game website was lost, I was not able to find any instructions how to set up CSC

But there is a snapshot from September 2017, in web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170925124 ... tructions/

The video referenced in the page is probably this one, already shared in couple of places:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT71yNvfgT0

Now only thing missing is what is new or changed with current CSC and which Unity is needed now, compared to last year.
peter980

Re: How to set up CSC

One thing that is definitively new, and I have verified now, is that new CSC uses 2017.3 version of Unity (it looks to be saved in 2017.3.0).

The old instructions reference 5.6 versions of Unity instead.
ttant

Re: How to set up CSC

peter980 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:41 pmThe old instructions reference 5.6 versions of Unity instead.
The old instructions are outdated, that's why it refers an old unity 3d version. A newer version might be published one day, but i can't tell when.

Here is the dump of the webarchive page, until more recent version comes up (with some fixes):

So you’re interested in creating custom stories for House Party? Cool! Let me put all of your concerns to rest right now. You don’t need ANY programming or Unity experience to write custom stories. It’s REALLY easy! You just have to have a good story in mind, and you can literally get started right away! I’m sure I speak for the entire House Party community when I say I’m interested to see what you can put together! Let’s get started.

Step 1: Download Unity:

The first thing you’re going to need to do is download Unity. It’s free! You can do that here:
https://unity3d.com/fr

Step 2: Download the Custom Story Creator:

You can download the latest version (or previous versions) of the House Party Story Creator here:
http://forum.eekllc.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65

Ok, now you’ve got everything you need! First, find that zip file you downloaded and right click on it. Choose Extract All and then pick a location to extract it to. You can dump it right on the desktop if you want. It’s got its own folder inside the zip, so you don’t have to worry about the files spilling out all over your desktop.

Once extracted, you should see a folder called “HousePartyStoryCreator”. Inside that folder, you should see two sub-folders; “Assets”, and “ProjectSettings”. If so, great! Let’s move on.

Open up Unity, and click “Open”. Navigate to where you unzipped the file to, and point unity to the “HousePartyStoryCreator” folder. With the folder selected, you should see the two sub-folders I mentioned above. That means you’ve got it selected correctly. Click the “Select Folder” button.

It may take a few minutes to open the project for the first time. This is completely normal. Unity needs to build a library. This only happens the first time you open it, and it should open rather quickly subsequently.

Once you’ve got the project opened, you should see what looks like a blank Unity project. Look for the “Project” tab in the top right corner.

Click the arrow next to “Scenes” in the Project window, and then double-click the “Dialogue Demo” scene to load it.

IMPORTANT: Do not run the scene by clicking the Play button. This scene is not mean to be run, and running it can cause errors. The scene is just meant as a platform for you to edit the stories. You will export the stories using the Inspector, and test the story updates in the House Party game itself. It helps to set up House Party to run in a window while you are working on custom stories.

In the Project tab, click on the arrow next to the “Stories” folder. There you will see all of the characters’ stories. Click on any of the characters, and then look below in the “Inspector” tab to start making changes to the story.

There is also a main Story file simply labeled “Story”. This is a mandatory file that must be included in all of your stories for them to be registered, and right now it also handles all of the interaction that takes place in the game. It will be handling more down the line.

The original stories that come with House Party come pre-loaded in the Story Creator, so you can see how the Story Creator works by looking at the way these stories are set up. You can start on your own custom story by tweaking the stories that are already there, or you can click the button at the bottom of the story creator window to clear the story if you prefer a blank slate.

Once you are done editing your story, if you’d like to see the changes for that character show up immediately in your copy of House Party, simply click the “Import Story to House Party” button when you are done editing. This will copy the file exactly where it needs to be in order for the game to read it. FYI, the location is “Documents/Eek/HouseParty/Mods/Stories. Also, be sure to import the main Story file before anything, otherwise the story won’t be detected.

You may also Export and Import stories using the other buttons provided. This makes it easy to share stories!

Here is a video to help you get started. Note, this video was made at the beginning of February of 2017, so some things in the story creator may have changed since then, but most of the basic concepts are the same.