Unable to give custom item to player

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
e2pii

Unable to give custom item to player

I've attempted to create a new interactiveItem both directly in the Heirarchy and by duplicating the "Paper" item and renaming.
They show up as interactive items in the story (file, not game), and I can tie logic and events to them there.

My triggers to add the item to the player's inventory appear to fire (no failure message), but the custom item doesn't appear in inventory. I'd prefer not to use an existing unused item (DVD2, Motor Oil) as they already exist in world. Ideally, I'd like to mimic the behavior of the "Condom" (not seen in world, receive through actions, and then give away) but with the appearance of Paper.

If this simply isn't possible (game doesn't track "new" items,) would the devs consider adding "off-screen" duplicate items with just base logic for modders to use?
eekdon

Re: Unable to give custom item to player

e2pii wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:05 pm I've attempted to create a new interactiveItem both directly in the Heirarchy and by duplicating the "Paper" item and renaming.
They show up as interactive items in the story (file, not game), and I can tie logic and events to them there.

My triggers to add the item to the player's inventory appear to fire (no failure message), but the custom item doesn't appear in inventory. I'd prefer not to use an existing unused item (DVD2, Motor Oil) as they already exist in world. Ideally, I'd like to mimic the behavior of the "Condom" (not seen in world, receive through actions, and then give away) but with the appearance of Paper.

If this simply isn't possible (game doesn't track "new" items,) would the devs consider adding "off-screen" duplicate items with just base logic for modders to use?
We'll have to see if that's possible; there's a lot going on behind the scenes with items and story scripts. Duplicate interactable items are an issue since every item needs a unique name.
peter980

Re: Unable to give custom item to player

Additionally, all items used in original story do exist on the map. Condom, $50, etc... They are just disabled from the map, by the scripts.

This can be easily seen in custom stories that do not use such items, where you can find actual locations of those items. For example, condom is in the drawer near the master bedroom bed.