How do YOU start building a custom story?

In this forum, you can ask questions and get help with the House Party Custom Story Creator.

Moderators: erasmus, ttant

hunter444

How do YOU start building a custom story?

Postby hunter444 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:43 am

I watched the tutorial video twice and did some reading on random topics here. I then spent the better part of the weekend going through the dialogue choices for every character and documenting all the unique ways the developer does things. My thought is when I want to do that in my story, I will have an idea how to pursue it. I debated on going through the quests next, but I am losing steam.

I have lots of ideas on story things I want to do and I have some basic dialog changes done, but I am really questioning how I should be starting this. Do you guys build the quests first and then fill the dialog in or do you jump between sections? They all kinda go hand-in-hand, but I would like to have meaningful choices in my story, so I kinda need an overall picture of everything before I get too far into it.

Or am I overthinking it? Should I just start tweaking things as I go and it will come together? I think I'm just overwhelmed with all the things I could do in the game that I am stuck saying what should I do first? As a side note, I have not fully finished the game so some of the stuff is new to me. The editor makes me realize the complexity of all the choices they have in the game that maybe I would be better off playing the game some more and noting things I like?

mada7

Re: How do YOU start building a custom story?

Postby mada7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:46 pm

The way I made my stories was that I started with a specific character and fleshed out their entire story as much as possible while only touching the other characters as they tie into the story of the character I am working on. From there I work on the characters that tie into that story and kinda expand out from there.

hunter444

Postby hunter444 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 am

Thank you, that is helpful!

Housepartyhard

Postby Housepartyhard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm

If you intent to interconnect the dialogue between the girls or use item interaction you should draw a simple storyboard detailing what is supposed to happen anytime you do or say something to each character involved otherwise cleaning up the dialog trees will be a nigthmare later on because the lines will pop up all over the place. The quests are great for that, when you want to make a new set of dialogue or actions that can be done once you advanced the plot, for example how the girls will behave before or after the player has seduced her, the quests are very clear triggers you can use.
So write the dialogue thinking forward on how everybody will react to it and build the quests around that, then you just put all the pieces together and clean up.

Return to “House Party Custom Story Creator Help”