Unofficial Manual

In this forum, you can ask questions and get help with the House Party Custom Story Creator.

Moderators: erasmus, ttant

tacobreath

Unofficial Manual

Postby tacobreath » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 am

Hello,

I have been working on an Unofficial House Party Custom Story Creator Manual for myself and I thought it might be at a point where it could be of some use to others. It is not complete in any way! You will see toward the end of the document I ran out of steam and had to start making an outline for parts of it.

Basically, it is very, very rough. So please take it easy on me!

That being said, if you have any additional information, corrections, etc. please send them my way and I will get the document updated.

The current plan is to complete the tutorial that has been outlined and flesh out some sections with additional descriptions for items that are currently just listed by name.

Oh and I am also providing a set of scripts that will allow you to start your story with more a blank slate. Provides a Story file where everything has been manually removed except character interactions, and character files where everything is removed except the personality settings. Just import each script to the correct prefab in unity.

Thanks for giving it a look and if you think it's garbage, well happy new year!
Attachments
TB.ClearStory.zip
(104.67 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Unofficial.House.Party.Story.Creator.Manual.zip
(121.46 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Viceguy

Re: Unofficial Manual

Postby Viceguy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:07 am

Hi.
Before getting to the interesting parts, there's a lot of text about things that are either rather self-explanatory, or not very important to creating stories. It's made to seem even more complex than it is, partially because you're explaining in text something that's very visual.

If I were starting out now, I'd much rather have a reference guide than full documentation like this. I.e. "how to do x".
There's a lot of details there that I just wouldn't be interested in until I've seen how things hang together in general.

In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Eek to set up a wiki some of us could edit to maintain our own howto guides in a more accessible format.
A wall of text is just scary.

DBlast

Postby DBlast » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Viceguy wrote:Hi.
Before getting to the interesting parts, there's a lot of text about things that are either rather self-explanatory, or not very important to creating stories. It's made to seem even more complex than it is, partially because you're explaining in text something that's very visual.

If I were starting out now, I'd much rather have a reference guide than full documentation like this. I.e. "how to do x".
There's a lot of details there that I just wouldn't be interested in until I've seen how things hang together in general.

In fact, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Eek to set up a wiki some of us could edit to maintain our own howto guides in a more accessible format.
A wall of text is just scary.

The lot of text about things that are "rather self-explanatory, or not very important to creating stories" is in fact really necessary. I have never used Unity before and the tutorial on eeks website is so outdated that it cannot be used at all, as things work fundamentally different now in unity. This guide helped me to actually find my way around.

So, thanks tacobreath! :D
Last edited by DBlast on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viceguy

Postby Viceguy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:24 am

DBlast is right.

When I reviewed this earlier I had for some reason decided that this should be a reference list of "How to do X", "how to do Y", etc.
So when I didn't see that, but a lot of talk about the editor instead I formed an opinion that's not fair.

As a manual, and especially for someone that's new to this, I think you did a great job, and I hope you continue.

Personally, I hope you know a lot about items and that you're good at communicating it, because those are the ones stumping me these days ;)
I.e. finding out which items can be mounted on characters, given to the player etc.

One question though: You have a lot of disclaimers about duplicating story files and backing them up. Do you keep all the stories in the same folder.
I just extracted the original story, opened it (to generate whatever Unity needs to generate on first opening), then copy that folder whenever I start a new story. That way I don't have to worry about overwriting anything, and I don't have multiple story sets in the same editor.
If I need to compare against the original, I just open a new instance of Unity.
Maybe there's a hidden downside to the way I'm doing it, just thought I'd mention it. I find it makes me much less nervous about making adjustments.

tacobreath

Postby tacobreath » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 am

@Viceguy: Criticism of wall of text

One of my biggest worries when posting this guide was that it would be too wordy for other peoples consumption. But I wrote this document for myself while I was was learning how to use the story creator, because unfortunately I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to this, and writing things down helps me remember it later.

So this document was a catch all of various ideas (Reference, Tutorial, etc.) all written over probably 8 hours over two days. I was just about to close on a house and I wanted something to be able to jump back in with when things settled back down. I decided to release what I had in hope it would help someone else get started and get me some feedback on the current state of the document.

Sorry for this wall of text... But your feedback is very helpful.

@DBlast

I am really happy to hear that this guide helped you in some way. Please make some awesome stories for us to play!

@Viceguy: Story backups

I actually do exactly what you do. I extract original story, open and let Unity do its thing. Then I make a copy of that folder for each new project I work on.

I think what you might be thinking of is when I talk about clearing the story files. There is a bug in the current version of the story creator that prevents certain items from being used when you use the clear story button. I probably just reiterate that way too much in the guide.

So I created versions of the Story and Character files that are clear of all original story elements, but not bugged out.

Anyway I intend to continue the manual. I am about 1/3 through my tutorial for how to create a story from scratch. Please continue to provide feedback. It is all quite valuable. In the next version I plan to release as a google doc so people can always see the latest update.

Return to “House Party Custom Story Creator Help”