WarpItemTo

General discussion of the House Party CSC, or get help making your own story.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
chimneyfish

WarpItemTo

In CSC 0.17.3, I'm experimenting with warping items around the house using WarpItemTo.

Warping items to a character or move target seems to work fine.

For warping items to another item, depending on the target item, it either doesn't work at all or the warped item falls through, often to an unreachable place (under the armchair, for example). Has anyone found items that are useful targets for WarpItemTo?

For warping items to a game object, I found NearCuttingBoard1 and NearCuttingBoard2 in the original story. These are both on top of the green folder in the kitchen and potentially pretty useful. Are there other game objects available? There isn't a dropdown list, so it's impossible to guess, but inquiring minds want to know.
eekdon

Re: WarpItemTo

There are a lot of game objects that COULD be referenced, but those two you called out plus CenterofLiquorCabinet (probably not great for warps, but great for distance checks) were specifically set up as easy-to-remember game object names for use in the CSC.

CenterofLiquorCabinet is here:

Most GOs aren't set up with nice naming, or have many duplicates and referencing them could lead to unintended results. I believe Arin's OS script has a painting game object referenced...you'll see what I mean re: "nice naming" with that one :P

I'll have to look into why items are falling through other items and into the environment.
chimneyfish

Hmmm, I tested CenterofLiquorCabinet and you're right, it's not great for warps: WarpItemTo it fails with every item I tried (the items don't move) :P

Also, WarpItemTo doesn't seem to work on Scorpion Tequila at all, even with targets that work for other items.
chimneyfish

In a fit of obsessive-compulsiveness, I tested WarpItemTo just about every item on the list in the CSC.

The following items are valid targets and potentially useful for custom stories, if you want to move some stuff around:
  • Coffee
  • CompuBrahSex
  • Diary (super useful for hiding other things in the safe!)
  • DryerSeat
  • Kettle
  • Laptop
  • Paper
  • Penguin
  • Phone4
  • Ping Pong Ball
  • Speaker 1
  • Speaker 2
  • Terrarium Slider
  • WasherSeat
The following items are also valid targets, but the results might look a little (or a lot) weird because the item you're warping might end up embedded in the target or floating in midair. Still maybe useful to someone:
  • LRTV Buttons
  • MasterBathtubEdgeSeat
  • MasterBathTubSeat
  • Mug
  • Popcorn
  • Roof Seat Left
  • Roof Seat Right
  • Thermostat
  • UpstairsBathroomMirror
  • UpstairsBathtubEdgeSeat
  • MasterBathTubSeat
  • UpstairsMasterBathroomMirror
  • WhalePoster
The following items give odd results. Maybe useful if you want something floating in midair?
  • Leah Earpiece: warped item ends up in midair beneath right side of desk in study
  • Camera: warped item ends up in midair between the master bedroom door and the master bathroom door
The remaining items used as targets either end up with the warped item hidden or inaccessible, or just don't work at all.
eekdon

Was thinking about this and decided to review the code real quick.

Yeah, so, the dropdown should not include items. None of the code responsible for interpreting the target given by the CSC up through warping the item to the target even takes into account the possibility of an InteractiveItem as a target. If you're getting anything that is an item to work, it's because it's successfully getting caught by the fallback method that just looks for a GameObject, and a fair number of our GameObject names match the actual names for InteractiveItems.

I remember doing this because it was too easy for items to get lost inside items, have two colliders explosively repel each other, etc. etc. It's also not time effective to come up with an offset system which would work for any two combinations of items, at any time, in any place, and at any rotation.

If you want to warp to the Scorpion Tequila, try it as a G.O. :P "SP4_ScorpionTequilaBottle_Prefab"
chimneyfish

erasmus wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:07 pm Was thinking about this and decided to review the code real quick.

Yeah, so, the dropdown should not include items. None of the code responsible for interpreting the target given by the CSC up through warping the item to the target even takes into account the possibility of an InteractiveItem as a target. If you're getting anything that is an item to work, it's because it's successfully getting caught by the fallback method that just looks for a GameObject, and a fair number of our GameObject names match the actual names for InteractiveItems.

I remember doing this because it was too easy for items to get lost inside items, have two colliders explosively repel each other, etc. etc. It's also not time effective to come up with an offset system which would work for any two combinations of items, at any time, in any place, and at any rotation.

If you want to warp to the Scorpion Tequila, try it as a G.O. :P "SP4_ScorpionTequilaBottle_Prefab"
Wow. I'm surprised I got anything to work at all, then!

The issue with the Scorpion Tequila was not so much using it as a target, but that it won't warp anywhere. For example, Item: Scorpion Tequila: WarpItemTo: Move Target: Kitchen doesn't work.
eekdon

Oh. Weird. I'll look at that too.
eekdon

Huh. For whatever reason that item and the painkillers were flagged pre-runtime to be "Held Now" by the Player (as in, right-click held). Easy fix.