Can't use CSC 0.19.4

Report any bugs you may encounter with the House Party CSC here.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
zebulon

Can't use CSC 0.19.4

I have installed the correct version of unity then double-clicked the Story Creator Load me first and after the editor is completely loaded, I have double clicked it again, as I did with the previous CSC.
The stories are loaded but empty. There is a message saying that the associated script cannot be loaded due to errors (see the screenshot).
Attachments
Error CSC.0.19.4.png
Error CSC.0.19.4.png (357.59 KiB) Viewed 10526 times
cesidio

Re: Can't use CSC 0.19.4

I have problems with eekevents.dll too
eekdon

zebulon wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:48 am I have installed the correct version of unity then double-clicked the Story Creator Load me first and after the editor is completely loaded, I have double clicked it again, as I did with the previous CSC.
The stories are loaded but empty. There is a message saying that the associated script cannot be loaded due to errors (see the screenshot).
Can you provide the full text of the error?

Where did you extract the CSC to, as in, what specific folder? Is this used by OneDrive in any way? Is Windows file compression enabled in the folder?

This message appears the moment you double click on the Story Creator (Click me first) scene? Or is there any message before that?

Can you import, export, or use any other story functionality?
zebulon

There is no error text except the two that are visible on the screenshot (inspector window and bottom of the screen in red).
The CSC is extracted in a folder of an external drive, not used by others programs (I don't use Onedrive). No compression enabled.
The editor was launched by double clicking on the story creator in the file explorer. After all the files were created, the editor window opened and the story files were visible before I double click again on the story creator (it was not the case with the 0.18.2 version). The error messages appeared when the unity editor window opened and before I double click again in the window.
Finally there is no import export functionality and I could not try to import my previous work.
eekdon

Try opening the project via Unity's project selector instead of opening it via Windows File Explorer.

If you click on where the error appeared, a console window should appear that gives you even more information on the error.

You may be running into an issue with anti-virus or anti-ransomware software, or a security software suite. A lot of the CSC's functionality relies on .DLL files that certain security programs may interfere with.
zebulon

Here is the full red message:
Red Error.JPG
Red Error.JPG (49.57 KiB) Viewed 10449 times
cesidio

Same errors. I solved my problem activating Unity free license again and now it works. I did it years ago but for some reasons this new CSC update didn't recognize it anymore abruptly. Or maybe older version of Unity's license isn't good for the new version.
zebulon

Thank you for your help. It might be the issue, because I always managed to use the 0.18.2 CSC and the 500 MB 2018.4.30f1unity editor without subscribing to Unity, by double-clicking it in explorer and then closing the pop-up which asked me to subscribe.
It seems that with CSC 0.19.4 and the 5 GB 2020.3.10f1 unity editor it is required to subscribe and renew the free license EVERY DAY!
I used to have fun making custom stories with the previous version but now I don't want to be the slave of this big nagging editor. For what? Just to make small text files to import in the game because no testing is available from the editor.
Wouldn't it be a good idea for the developers to make a small editor outside of unity (written in python, c++ or whatever they want)?
ttant

zebulon wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:57 am Wouldn't it be a good idea for the developers to make a small editor outside of unity (written in python, c++ or whatever they want)?
It might, but i don't think they will.
From what i understand, CSC is just a cut-off of an existing tool they use to create House party. This would take lots of time to create an alternative just to get rid of unity part.
cesidio

Let hope they will do a separate own editor for Office Party, also with more option than this one.