Problem w/ 0.8.2 update

The current game in development by Eek! Games. Discuss testing and development, suggestions and ideas that you would like to get back to the developer.

Moderators: erasmus, ttant

panzer.tc

Problem w/ 0.8.2 update

Postby panzer.tc » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:35 am

I downloaded the both the Windows x64 and x86 versions, moved the files to their correct folders, put the new original story files in their proper place. But every time I start the game, the "original story" files in My Documents folder (in their proper folder) are magically deleted, and the game displays the following message "Error: There was an error writing the story files to your documents folder. Please ensure the application has proper permissions."

Spoiler:
[img]
error message.jpg
error message.jpg (199.29 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

[/img]

Any Help would be appreciated.

erasmus

Re: Problem w/ 0.8.2 update

Postby erasmus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:11 am

Can I ask why you moved anything? I just want to get a feel for what might have happened. For the standalone alpha and beta versions, no files need to be moved to any specific place. As long as you extract the files out of the .zip and have them in the same folder, everything else is handled automatically. You should be able to, for instance, download the 0.8.2 file to your desktop, right click to "Extract Here", then immediately run the HouseParty.exe file and play.

What "new original story files" are you referring to? Those are also automatically put in place. Can you provide a screenshot of your stories folder and all the folders you've touched as part of your troubleshooting?
Erasmus
Quality Assurance and Customer Experience Manager

panzer.tc

Postby panzer.tc » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:35 am

Because I'm retarded and thought that was what I needed to do.

I just tried what you said to do, extract to the desktop in the same folder, and I got the exact same response.

My original actions:
I put the HouseParty application, and the UnityPlayer.dll in the House Party (home folder) which is in: Local Disk (C), Program Files (x86), Steam, SteamApps, Common.
I put each of the "new" files into the folders with the same name as the folders they were in, in the zip file.
i.e., all of the individual files that were in the "HouseParty_Data" folder in the 0.8.2 zip download - I put in the folder named "HouseParty_Data", in the original directory of my game. Then all of the files in the folders named: Managed, Mono, Plugins, Resources, I put in their respective folders under the HouseParty_Data folder. Then I put the folders containing the lastest story files into the (what I thought was their proper folders) in the Eek Folder in My Documents.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my original game, so it works again.

But am not able to play the 0.8.2 yet.

panzer.tc

Postby panzer.tc » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:08 am

I'm back, found my problem. My Avast anti-virus was the culprit. I turned it off, and the 0.8.2 worked fine from the folder on my desktop.

erasmus

Postby erasmus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:41 pm

panzer.tc wrote:I'm back, found my problem. My Avast anti-virus was the culprit. I turned it off, and the 0.8.2 worked fine from the folder on my desktop.

Ah ok thank you for the update. Glad you got it working!

You aren't stupid or anything. We try to put official guides on patch, install, custom story, etc. procedures in place but there still tends to be misinformation that floats around. Hope you enjoy!
Erasmus

panzer.tc

Postby panzer.tc » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks, I am enjoying it. Several new things that I really like in the 0.8.2 beta, I don't know if I can spill the beans here though.

erasmus

Postby erasmus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:36 pm

panzer.tc wrote:Thanks, I am enjoying it. Several new things that I really like in the 0.8.2 beta, I don't know if I can spill the beans here though.

Yeah there's a spoiler function in this forum that works fairly well, no problem!
Erasmus

calarmst1

Postby calarmst1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 pm

i have avg and I'm having the same issue, do i have to turn my anti virus off as well? is therte going to be an update to where i don't have to turn off my anti virus software??

calarmst1

Postby calarmst1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 am

I have turned anti virus off but it hasn't fixed anything, I still get the " Proper permission" and I can't take pictures with camera someone please help!!!?

panzer.tc

Postby panzer.tc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:02 am

I went back to Kaspersky Pure anti-virus software, which I set the proper permissions for this game and have had no further problems.
When I was using Avast anti-virus software (the paid version), it wouldn't allow me to play the game starting with the 0.8.2 update.
I don't know why it wouldn't let me, but once I got rid of it, and went back to Kaspersky, it solved my problem.

Return to “House Party”