Because I'm retarded and thought that was what I needed to do.
I just tried what you said to do, extract to the desktop in the same folder, and I got the exact same response.
My original actions:
I put the HouseParty application, and the UnityPlayer.dll in the House Party (home folder) which is in: Local Disk (C), Program Files (x86), Steam, SteamApps, Common.
I put each of the "new" files into the folders with the same name as the folders they were in, in the zip file.
i.e., all of the individual files that were in the "HouseParty_Data" folder in the 0.8.2 zip download - I put in the folder named "HouseParty_Data", in the original directory of my game. Then all of the files in the folders named: Managed, Mono, Plugins, Resources, I put in their respective folders under the HouseParty_Data folder. Then I put the folders containing the lastest story files into the (what I thought was their proper folders) in the Eek Folder in My Documents.
I uninstalled and reinstalled my original game, so it works again.
But am not able to play the 0.8.2 yet.