Possibility of subtitles for ambient dialog?

For general House Party discussion, gameplay questions, and feedback. Also where to ask questions about how to avoid Frank of the House "Fister", First of His Name.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
f0lkh3r099

Possibility of subtitles for ambient dialog?

I'm loving the new ambient dialog system, it really makes the game feel more like a real party.

My only issue is.... it's hard to hear most of it. If many characters are in a room together, they all start doing ambient dialog together and it blurs together.

Also, it's just difficult to hear it clearly. I have pretty bad hearing loss (yay genetics!), and I can't make out most of the ambient dialog. Would it be possible to have floating subtitles appear beneath the characters to display their ambient dialog?

I'm not sure if your engine supports it, but it would be amazing if possible.
DanL58

Re: Possibility of subtitles for ambient dialog?

No, please no. After listening just a few minutes I turned that off because they just repeating the same few lines.
f0lkh3r099

I didn't mean as 100% forced subtitles, but as an option that can be turned on/off.
peter980

+1 for that

Although it needs to be kinda unintrusive, which may be difficult to do.
RoadWulf

Only if they add in a text scaling option, because the screen is already filled with too much text during the chat sequences.
ttant

A silly idea which only came to my minds: what about a dialog box like the one in comics displayed over the NPS who is speaking ?

This way you can still have the real dialog and get the subtitle over any speaking NPC.
The only difficulties is to get the dialog facing properly the player in a 3D env.
Attachments
dialog.png
dialog.png (1013.86 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
f0lkh3r099

Interesting. I was kinda thinking something like this, but with black borders on the letters (makes them much easier to read... I just don't know how to do that in MS Paint).
Attachments
TJS7wxX.png
TJS7wxX.png (792.37 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
eekdon

We've talked about something similar to what ttant posted, although I'll admit mine was more on the eh...MMORPG chat bubble side of the spectrum. We would allow them to be disabled, of course. Variety of background chatter will increase over time, and become considerably more complex (with some hidden gems players maaaay want to stick around for in the future ;) )
peter980

Regarding chatter, I think also that chatter based on shooing others to get out of area should be different.

It's weird to see girl having hand expressions showing that is shooing others to get out of room and then display just regular chit-chat.