Add legacy branch option for Steam release?

For general House Party discussion, gameplay questions, and feedback. Also where to ask questions about how to avoid Frank of the House "Fister", First of His Name.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
peter980

Add legacy branch option for Steam release?

It would be great to have separate "legacy" branch for Steam release that would house last version of House Party that has CSC support.

That way, when new release become available that does not support CSC yet, while at the same time breaking older custom stories, that there is way to play them. At least until next CSC version is out.

Of course, do not get crazy with this. Just one legacy branch is needed, not one for each version of older CSC. After all, there should be incentive for modders to update their stories.
ttant

Re: Add legacy branch option for Steam release?

You know you can do that manually, right ?
Just copy-paste the house party game folder somewhere else than the place steam put and manage it and the trick is done... :mrgreen:
peter980

Wait, how would then you rollback to for example 0.8.3, if you already have 0.8.7 files downloaded by Steam?

I'm not sure it works like that...
ttant

If you backup your game right now. you have a backup of the 0.8.8 folder, so when the 0.9.x arrives, you can still launch older versions on your own.

So, yes, you can't get 0.8.3 or earlier build using this, but eek! only supports one game version (the latest published).
peter980

That why I suggested branching. That's the recent feature that Steam supports. Being able to support multiple binaries for single game, through Steam. And you do not need to support development wise more then latest release. Previous one compatible with last CSC would be there to help players enjoy custom stories interrupted, while you work on new content as well as next CSC release, and would only be provided as it is (no bugfixes and stuff).

Many game authors use branching in Steam to add experimental branches for testers, but some also to include legacy game versions.

With not enough resources to have CSC ready each time there is new House Party release that will not work with previous CSC, it would make sense for continuity sense to also have legacy branch just for that purpose, to support last released version of CSC.
eekdon

FYI this is a thing now. In Steam at least (I haven't checked on the other DL sites) you can select standard update, Beta (which at this point is just 0.8.8) OR 0.8.7 for those that want to use their save games.

@Peter, C:\Users\USER NAME HERE\AppData\LocalLow\Eek\House Party\Saves contains save files, REGARDLESS of game version.

https://imgur.com/KJwmOqz

I believe they will come with a LOT of bugs, as any outdated file would, but I have not personally verified that they are 100% unusable. There is game version data and other plaintext info in each that may or may not be usable for breathing life into them.