[Complete Story] French translation (sort of) [0.5.7, 0.6.5, 0.7.3]

Subforum for discussing translation of the Original Story and Custom Stories, the House Party translation system itself, and for translation-related suggestions.

Moderators: erasmus, ttant

Forum rules
No discussion of piracy, no harassment of forum users or commentary on their language of choice, no advertisements, no trolling of any kind. Be cool to one another.
ttant

[Complete Story] French translation (sort of) [0.5.7, 0.6.5, 0.7.3]

Postby ttant » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:20 am

Hi everyone,

Game:
0.4.2.1 :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395&start=10#p1935
0.4.3.0 :arrow: not released
0.4.3.1 :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395&p=2025#p2025 (untested - second try)
0.4.4.x :arrow: canceled, previous version works for it
0.5.7.x :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395&p=2780#p2780
0.6.1.x :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395&start=30#p3017
0.6.5.x :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395&start=60#p5283
0.6.6.0 :arrow: canceled, previous version works for it
0.7.3.0 :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395&start=70#p5830
Newer version :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2207

Tutorial:
0.6.5.x :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1395&start=40#p3745

Missing version were skipped, due to the lack of hpcs creator or because there is no story/character files change.

You can participate by telling me if you find mistakes in the translation. No need to download/install the game, just check the translation here.

Original post :

I'm currently trying to translate in french the original house party game.
To do that, I'm using the tools provided by the author, so there will be some untranslated text, due to the tool constraint:
* Characters names won't be changed (Stephanie won't become Stéphanie)
* All the game UI will stay in english
* Maybe some others i haven't guessed yet

About the progress:
* First raw of translation is complete (english to french)
* A complete review is in progress (check for typos and coherence of dialog between character).
After this step, i will publish some kind of excel document where you can check for my translation against the original english text. If a sentence is not present in this document, it won't be present in the translated game.
* After the review is complete (by you and me), i will start to import the translated sentences in the custom creator story. (this make take a while, as this is not the tool's purpose.
Last edited by ttant on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Bobby
Site Admin

Re: French translation (sort of)

Postby Bobby » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks for this! I will also work on a way for the custom creator to do things like edit names and inspection texts. I just put out a new version (yesterday, 1/28/17) in which you can change the inspection text of the characters, so it'll get there eventually.

ttant, when upgrading, you'll want to export your story to a file, and then when you download the new version, import it back in. It should pick up all of your old changes, and simple give you the ability to add new changes on top of it.

ttant

Postby ttant » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Ok, thanks for the tips. I will download again the creator tools and the original files.

Only madison and ahsley files need to be reviewed. I will post the translation-check link later today.

ttant

Postby ttant » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Billy

Postby Billy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Great ! I've read entry 1 to 211. Great job ! 8-)
I've only found one mistake for now:
Entry 14: "Essayes tu" should be "Essayes-tu" (missing dash)

I also have some other questions:
Entry 35: "Carry on!" (Stephanie). "Alors vas danser". Why not simply say "Continue" ? (She's already dancing ;) )
Entry 42: both columns are in French ...
Entry 51 : "Dude, put that away! What's your problem?" "Arrête ça ! C'est quoi ton problème ?" Why not. But I would have said "Range ça, mec ! C'est quoi ton problème ?"
Entry 61 : This entry is quite tricky ... "Frank shmank! Hic! He doesn't scare me." Shouldn't we try to translate the rhyme ... I know is is difficult, but why not. "Frank le Tank ? Hic ! Il ne me fait pas peur." ? It's just a suggestion.
Entry 111: "Hey there. You having fun?" Would "Salut. Tu t'amuses bien ?" seem good to you ?
Entry 191: "I'm Not Whipped, Bro!", "Bro" isn't translated. I like "Gaz hilarant". I don't know if I would have thought of that ! :D Would you like "Gaz hilarant mon pote" ou "Gaz hilarant, mec" or something like that ?

Oh, and last but not least : Entry 4. There's a game on words (feel = feelings / feel = touch Katherine). "(J'aimerais tellement te (res)sentir moi aussi) Je suis désolé!" or something like that.

What do you think ttant

ttant

Postby ttant » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:57 pm

It's a good idea. it seems you masterize the french language a lot better than me agaisnt english !

Unity inspector panel is really not translator friendly.
I try to automatize a bit the copy/paste part using autohot key (ctrl+a, ctrl+x, replace the clipboard content by my translation, ctrl+v) but it fails from time to time for no reason...

And i haven't figured out how unity save the modification i've made. the stories seems to take the modifications on the fly, but when my computer crashes for another silly reason, all the modification i made were lost (even if i use ctrl+s to save them)...

Edit:
Billy wrote:Entry 191: "I'm Not Whipped, Bro!", "Bro" isn't translated. I like "Gaz hilarant". I don't know if I would have thought of that ! :D Would you like "Gaz hilarant mon pote" ou "Gaz hilarant, mec" or something like that ?

this text is use for a quest name.

The main issue here, is the same as all the sentences related to the "whip-its". according to urban dictionary, do whips-its means :
The act or process of inhaling nitrous oxide from small compressed canisters or compressed cans of whipped cream.
There is no such expression in french (or i don't know it). googleing the translation of "nitrous oxide" i found "gaz hilarant"
So for me, "I'm Not Whipped" means that the person is not yet high using the can.
I'll change the translation to "A la recherche de gaz hilarant"

Other remarks are also corrected in the google doc.

Bobby
Site Admin

Postby Bobby » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:29 pm

ttant wrote:So for me, "I'm Not Whipped" means that the person is not yet high using the can.
I'll change the translation to "A la recherche de gaz hilarant"

I can see how this one can be tricky. You're right about the Whip-Its and what they are, but the title of the quest "I'm not Whipped, Bro", is a pun based off the American colloquialism "whipped", meaning when a guy doesn't make a move without consulting his girlfriend/wife. The term "whipped" essentially means that you are under the control of the girl you are with in a "yes, dear" sort of way. The only reason the two are related is because they both include the word "whip". I think the quest name could easily be translated off of something like "Let's Get High", because I don't think the pun would make any sense in French.

ttant

Postby ttant » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Here is the first draft of the french translation.

I'm pretty sure that it won't work (yet):
When I compare the original story files to mine, there is a lot of differences which must not be present (Show/Important/AlwaysDisplay/etc boolean attribute with wrong value, Character2 value set to Rachel instead of empty or bobby (don't know who it is), value set to Rachel (again !) instead of DownstairsBathroomTarget, Key value changed, etc.)

Btw, stephanie story doesn't play in creator, don't know why. Nontheless, it's here and I can't test it before next month :mrgreen:

Edit :
Bobby wrote: I think the quest name could easily be translated off of something like "Let's Get High", because I don't think the pun would make any sense in French.

"A la recherche du gaz hilarant" could be translated to "Let's look for whip-its" and seems hilarious to me :lol:

Edit 2: attachement deleted.

ttant

Re: [Incomplete Story] French translation (sort of) [0.4.2.0]

Postby ttant » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:33 pm

New version done with latest custom story creator (2017/02/02).

No text was altered since last preview.

Edit :
* Updated on february 4th 2017.
* Stephanie story still doesn't start in the custom story tool :?
Last edited by ttant on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttant

Re: [Incomplete Story] French translation (sort of) [0.4.2.0]

Postby ttant » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Fyi, i'm currently redoing everything with custom editor provided on february 9th 2017.

Return to “House Party Translation Discussion”