[Not Implemented] Add random function

Requests for new Custom Stories or discussion of your new Custom Story ideas.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
peter980

[Not Implemented] Add random function

Currently, only CoinFlip check is implemented (50%) chance. It would be good if there is way for more gradual random function.
eekdon

Re: [Not Implemented] Add random function

Yeah I can put in a ticket for this.
dev_n

Can you check on the status of that ticket? ;)

It takes a lot of effort to generate a random number with uniform probability through coin flips. Kind frustrating when you consider the outcome of the coinflip function was already determined by calculating a random number.
eekdon

Yeah I know, it's annoying. I can't promise it'll get done in 0.17.x as we're dealing with a lot at the moment, but I will put it in the to-do list for 0.18.x.

Can you and Peter980 further clarify exactly what would work best? Sounds like a RandomizeIntValue game event, which will take two manually input integers, and product a random value between those two would work fine.
peter980

Yes, that would be perfect.
The special case of (0,1) would be current coinflip, while (0,100) would simulate chance in percents.
eekdon

Alrighty, thank you!
dev_n

Yes (0,100) would be great, thanks!
dev_n

If it would be easier, it could be parameterless, just return an int between 0 - 100 that you could compare to with a less than / greater than.

For instance, a criterea might look like {RandomNumber LessThan 30} if you wanted a 30% chance of that event occuring.
eekdon

Here is what I am shooting for. Pretty easy, we just got bogged down with other stuff. Should take care of all your needs.

PartyBob

Just popping this one back up into visibility. This function would be really useful, as the series of coinflips method is really inefficient for getting randomization.