[Not Implemented] Music Player

In this forum you can submit wish list items for the Custom Story Creator. If you are stuck in your story and need the ability to do something, this is the place to post a request to build a way to do it into the story creator. I will be giving priority to new things I work on with the story creator to items posted in this forum as I want the Story Creator community to grow.

Moderators: erasmus, ttant

Apalaxe

[Not Implemented] Music Player

Postby Apalaxe » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:24 am

For the game to play music from \Mods\Music for example, allowing to play the game with custom music and Music Player functions such as loop or random.

erasmus

Re: [Not Implemented] Music Player

Postby erasmus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Apalaxe wrote:For the game to play music from \Mods\Music for example, allowing to play the game with custom music and Music Player functions such as loop or random.

There are some liability and 'scope' concerns that go along with this idea. If our software gets a player functionality integrated into it, I am not sure what we might have to deal with in terms of copyright concerns, format compatibility, additional technical support, etc. when considering all the things users can do with such a system. Not to mention that if we want to develop it from scratch instead of license such a system, how many hours that may take us to get it usable to everyone's satisfaction. On the flip side, if we license it, how much will that cost and what animations, voice overs, and visual assets might we be sacrificing by expending those funds?

Or, it could be kinda easy, and not that big a deal. BUT, it still takes away from our most commonly requested additions to the game :(

TLDR: not any time soon, if at all.

tamcef

Postby tamcef » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 am

Here is my work around for the lame music. I simply create a playlist with my VLC player, and start it playing. Then start the game with the game music silenced. Voila, my music.

celiafate

Postby celiafate » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 am

Music shouldn't be that hard. Implementing a basic player should be relatively easy, and creating event triggers to select which file is playing should be even easier. The copyright issues are a concern ONLY If creators are able to distribute audio files with their stories.

One of the best solutions would probably be a player that does NOT reference music files in the game folder at all, but instead asks for a music folder under settings. The player could drop whatever music they wanted to in that folder, and then prompts like Madison going to change the music would just grab one at random, or jump to the next song in the directory depending on the action.

It might be worth just looking into adding a music player. Considering you can create one using HTML 5 I can't imagine it would be THAT difficult, and if it is, table it until after release when the entire male population on Steam buys the game. But for the love of all that's good in the world, add a couple of additional tracks. I bet there are people who would write & produce music that's at LEAST as good as the current BG loop for little or nothing if they get credit (a little text popup every time the music changes displaying the title and composer or something similar).

ttant

Postby ttant » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:13 am

erasmus wrote: If our software gets a player functionality integrated into it, I am not sure what we might have to deal with in terms of copyright concerns, format compatibility, additional technical support, etc. when considering all the things users can do with such a system. Not to mention that if we want to develop it from scratch instead of license such a system, how many hours that may take us to get it usable to everyone's satisfaction. On the flip side, if we license it, how much will that cost and what animations, voice overs, and visual assets might we be sacrificing by expending those funds

Nope, it's not that hard :?
But don't be pissed off as the stories aren't updated and the game taken down for copyright or royalties issues :lol:

erasmus

Postby erasmus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Right, sheer technical difficulty was not my primary concern. Getting it working to satisfy "the most" customers while also not putting us at legal or other 'liability' risk is what might actually end up being difficult or time consuming. 3rd party music that we enable, display, or support adding into our game could very well be considered as potential "Damages due to Unlicensed Use". We aren't exactly in a position to deal with that kind of heat; just imagine if someone attempts to hold us liable for say, 1000 unlicensed uses of 33 different works, for example. And that is just the top of the risk iceberg. If someone has a legal example with acknowledged precedent/ruling in favor of a system like this specific to video games...well, let me know.

Personally I have no issue with throwing in a simple player functionality and I'm sure the rest of the team doesn't either. However, given that the music in-game can already be muted and the current simplicity of managing one's own music collection or streaming services and their minimal impact upon user systems, there's not enough reason to allow the use of external works/assets that we have not licensed *as a company*, 100% legally/officially.

That all being said, yes the music selection needs improvement. Having put countless hours into playing and testing the game I am 100% with you lol. Now, assuming we come up with a bunch of new original music assets for the game, contract out new pieces, or a randomized synth/music generation function, then yes absolutely we can put in a lot more music control options.

SirCarcass

Postby SirCarcass » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm not sure if there's been an actual court case, but there have been a lot of games that have a custom music folder. All of the PC GTA games, Euro Truck and American Truck Simulator, Car Mechanic Simulator 2018, The Sims games.... just off of the top of my head. You might have to license the use of MP3 technology specifically, but you can get around that by using OGG, which is public domain. Pretty much any game that allows modding has a ton of copyright infringing material available to use. As long as you aren't providing the copyrighted files themselves, or links to get them, I don't see why you would have any issues.

erasmus

Postby erasmus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:23 pm

Well then, apparently I have just not played any of the right games! Thanks, I will look into what/how some of these titles tackled custom music.

celiafate

Postby celiafate » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:08 am

SirCarcass wrote:As long as you aren't providing the copyrighted files themselves, or links to get them, I don't see why you would have any issues.

You wouldn't, any more than a company that sells a desktop MP3 player can be sued when people use it to play their own music. As you say, as long as music files can't be distributed with the game (and you can avoid this by forcing the user to select a folder on their own machine), there's no copyright violation.

Even if players COULD distribute files with music in them, you wouldn't be liable unless you hosted the forum in which those files were distributed.

And much of this can be circumvented with a TOS policy for creators.

ttant

Postby ttant » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:13 am

celiafate wrote:You wouldn't, any more than a company that sells a desktop MP3 player can be sued when people use it to play their own music. As you say, as long as music files can't be distributed with the game (and you can avoid this by forcing the user to select a folder on their own machine), there's no copyright violation.

You're absolutely right for the no copyright violation part.

But users can do anything if we give them this possibility such as use unexpected file file there (mp4/zip or even unsupported audio file format), because they don't really know what they're doing, and still be mad because "it's bullshit, it doesn't work". Just see how many of them can set up custom stories or CSC properly, when everything is literally explained.
In my pov, it would be better to have a feature in-game that can parse user's folder (user precise which folder to parse) to look for supported format, and then create a database with all known discovered supported file and play them. This could easily avoid the issue i mention just above.

Return to “House Party Custom Story Creator Wish List”