Unable to toggle correctly restriction on roaming locations

Report any bugs you may encounter with the House Party CSC here.
Forum rules
Please follow all Eek! Forum rules.
peter980

Unable to toggle correctly restriction on roaming locations

I had following issue when trying to script roaming locations.

Currently game allows through the "Roaming_Depreciated_Use_State_AbleToRoam" command, to set some locations as white list for roaming (Katherine in Original Story), or blacklists for roaming (all males prohibited from hot tub).

But this can not be fine tuned.

For example, if I prohibit hot tube, using ProhibitLocation version of command, there is no way for me to clear all prohibit locations and restore normal roaming using scripts (CSC or character/story edit). Same for AllowLocation.

The only workaround I've see is loading the save game, since there restrictions on roaming are not persisted in save games and will be cleared on game load (and thus need to be enforced with on "GameStart" event to persist).

Maybe I am missing something?

Additionally, "Roaming_Depreciated_Use_State_AbleToRoam" command can not be used with AllowLocation or ProhibitLocation parameters in the in-game console. It only works directly in scripts.
eekdon

Re: Unable to toggle correctly restriction on roaming locations

I am conferring with our writer on this. It does sound like something we need to address, I'll see what I can do to get the allow/prohibits added into console functionality.
peter980

What I was experimenting with, was creation scenario when some character would always be outside (in hot tube and near by named locations). And that was doable.

Then I wanted to restore them to original roaming, or different type of restricted roaming (anything but hot tube).

But it was not possible. I could set each of 3 possibilities at start, but that's it. No way to dynamically alter it correctly.

Maybe have command to restore original roaming (clear all allow/restricts for character)? Something that already happens on save load.
eekdon

peter980 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:59 am What I was experimenting with, was creation scenario when some character would always be outside (in hot tube and near by named locations). And that was doable.

Then I wanted to restore them to original roaming, or different type of restricted roaming (anything but hot tube).

But it was not possible. I could set each of 3 possibilities at start, but that's it. No way to dynamically alter it correctly.

Maybe have command to restore original roaming (clear all allow/restricts for character)? Something that already happens on save load.
Maybe I am not following. So you want a character that is always outside (via allowing only outside locations and prohibiting inside ones), then upon some trigger change the roaming to "default", OR change Allowed roaming spots to anywhere but the hot tub?

The latter should be possible. Now: "Can it be done conveniently and does it absolutely, positively work 100% of the time in-game?"...heh. THAT is a very fair question. In the CSC however, the functionality is theoretically there. Take Katherine's GameStart event from the Original Story, for instance. It sets up some Allows as shown here, so she will only roam to these locations: https://imgur.com/AWOECxP So this would be a basis for "my character will only walk to these spots".

I can then add to these spots she can walk to by adding more Allows as part of another event, or cancel some of these spots via a Prohibit (effectively, "she can still walk outside but not to the hot tub"). So, for instance, from GameStart I linked above she can only move to these points, but after the EndSex event (which I have quickly customized), she can move to the original spots defined in GameStart EXCEPT for outside, but now she can also wander to the Armchair: https://imgur.com/83gdH3V Let me know if this doesn't address the specific concern of dynamically changing roaming spots.

As I previously mentioned, it's not convenient, and that stinks. There's no way to "batch modify" the roaming capabilities of more than one NPC, and no way to "batch modify" ALL roaming Allows and Prohibits for one/many NPCs. I wouldn't even consider an interface that required you to keep track of so many little behaviors and alter them individually very "dynamic" at all. So...there's stuff to work on.
peter980

I'm not sure that prohibit cancels allows and vice verse.

I had some experiments with these, but with weird results.

Essentially, after adding any of these two types of restrictions, I was never able to restore to full house roaming, or be able to cancel specific location from being roamed or non-roamed.
eekdon

peter980 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:21 am I'm not sure that prohibit cancels allows and vice verse.

I had some experiments with these, but with weird results.

Essentially, after adding any of these two types of restrictions, I was never able to restore to full house roaming, or be able to cancel specific location from being roamed or non-roamed.
Ok, yeah the implementation may not work perfectly in-game right now, especially as we're moving from the Roaming functionality to using a state. That's something that needs to be looked into in addition a more convenient/intuitive way of resetting Allows and Prohibits for one/many characters in the HP CSC.